The Pound In Your Pocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I only have one pint when i visit a pub as i tend to drive there. I'd happily pay a way above average rate of inflation, increase in price for one pint,but if i was going on a pub crawl....mmmm?šŸ¤”

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind, but its all weak pith.

I bought 4 of these for Ā£6 from a 'well known supermarket' last night. šŸ§ I miss my local pub,but not the ABV/3.4% lemon,grapefruit etc 'summer real ales'xx( at to be fair,not a bad price compared to others Ā£2.90 a pint.

1619223674988.png

1619223695087.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It's been circa Ā£5 a pint in my local for years; some beers slightly under, some slightly over. It's why I'd rather open a bottle of something at home; we only bother with the pub if we're eating.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Disclaimer:

I don't actually drink Carling, I was merely quoting the poster in the window. I feel sure the other alcoholic beverages on offer at this particular public house will have seen a similar price hike.

DRM

Guru
When Covid first hit, I told my colleagues - our clients will remember how we treat them during this crisis, log after the crisis has ended.
Exactly, we have a smallish, local garden centre near to us, during lockdown when they couldn't open, you could ring up, order plants and other things, and they would deliver it to you, they still are cheaper then the big concerns, so they are always busy, and will stay that way, people don't forget being ripped off.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I bought 4 of these for Ā£6 from a 'well known supermarket' last night. šŸ§ I miss my local pub,but not the ABV/3.4% lemon,grapefruit etc 'summer real ales'xx( at to be fair,not a bad price compared to others Ā£2.90 a pint.

View attachment 585422

View attachment 585423

Accy, what are you doing drinking Guinness? Donā€™t you realise that all their beers are āš veganāš ?

byegad

Legendary Member
I can remember beer going up from 1s2d to 1s3d!
I rarely drink in pubs, as I'm usually driving. I do think the designated driver pays through the nose for soft drinks, especially given they've just brought 3 people to their out of the way pub!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The BoE have already warned of potential inflation as every business seeks to make a make up to recover lost costs.
Also the effects of increased costs due to Brexit and the chaos to supply chains dealt by Covid. A lot of prices are going to rise steeply. We're in for high inflation for years as the world markets readjust.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Also the effects of increased costs due to Brexit and the chaos to supply chains dealt by Covid. A lot of prices are going to rise steeply. We're in for high inflation for years as the world markets readjust.
Recently had to reorder dog food - up from around Ā£75 (two big bags) to Ā£86. Also bread flour, up from Ā£1.30/kg to Ā£1.65/kg.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Maybe he doesnā€™t want 16kg?
Margin aside, clearly there are costs to get flour in large sacks in the mill to small cupboard size bags to a supermarket in London
I do actually buy it direct from the mill - and they have 16kg sacks of some of their flours, not at Ā£11, but at Ā£15ish, which would make a big saving. I may try that next time. But in relation to the thread my point was simply that in two unrelated cases where I've been buying the same thing from the same supplier for years, both - after years of more or less stable prices - have suddenly been hit by hefty double-digit rises. Brexit + covid, I'm sure...and I'm also sure there's lots more of this sort of thing to feed through over upcoming months/years.

Top Bottom