The Pound In Your Pocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Walked past my local today. The poster proclaiming Carling at £2.50 a pint which was up pre lockdown has now been replaced with one proclaiming Carling £3.10 a pint.

I think going for a pint is about to get very expensive. Yes they may make hey immediately post lockdown and whilst the sun is out but come the winter nights and relying on regulars who decide they can no longer afford it.

See a lot of empty / closing pubs on the winter horizon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£3.10 is cheap. £4-£5 in Manchester and even our caravan pub is around £3.10 with 10% discount for owners.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Much as I like the expression 'making hey', is that really what they're doing? I don't know how much money they've gotnfrom government assistance or insurance or whatever but they can't have had much custom over the last year.

Mind you, I thought a pint was about three or four quid anyway, although I don't drink in pubs much these days.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have not been to pub (garden) since lock down ended, but, son-in-law informs me that on his "pub crawl" in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, last Friday:

a) some pubs you have to book to go
b) prices were upto £6 per pint

He still managed to get into his usual drunken state, lucky boy. ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't see why £3 for a pint is unreasonable though I personally wouldn't pay 3p for a pint of Carling. My local sports and social club was £3.25 before Covid-19 for beer from a small, local independent brewery.

My son told me many times before 2020 happened a city centre Manchester pint would be £5-6. You're paying for a lot more than beer.

Mind you folk have always moaned about the price of beer.

My barber has increased prices by 25%. We have to get used to this.

Although it was some years ago, I still vividly remember the shock of being told for the first time "that's not enough" when I handed over 2 £1 coins for 2 pints of beer.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
My barber has increased prices by 25%. We have to get used to this.

But can you get used to it if your income hasn't gone up by the same percentage or do you look for alternatives?
(Supermarket beer?)

Beer and haircuts are two examples quoted, multiply that by many other products and services and people on a fixed income will feel it tremendously.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Before the first lockdown, my wife used to have her hair done for £35. After the lockdown, the price doubled to £70 !! Needless to say, she doesn't go there anymore.
On the other hand, the French bakery I used to go to has not re-opened since early December. It is only a one man owned shop and I fear he will never open again. He is a casualty of Covid I am afraid, sad.

Top Bottom