The Pound In Your Pocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Twas in the papers just yesterday, outrage as breweries are advising pubs to chuck 50p more on a pint, knowing that the weak willed instant gratification seekers are so desperate for a pint theyll willingly pay it. Its peofiteering rather than any sudden economic imperative.

That was my point Drago, I think you have probably expressed it better than I did. Once the initial euphoria has died off these same breweries will be asking "where have all the regulars gone"

But on the plus side it will be yet more old pubs that can be turned into apartment blocks / care homes 😟

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The BoE have already warned of potential inflation as every business seeks to make a make up to recover lost costs.

already warned of potential inflation as every business seeks to make a make up to recover lost costs.
And with the government's scientific advisors/doom mongers already warning of another total lockdown in October/November they want to cream in as much as possible while they can.

kynikos

Veteran
Shocking; I remember when it was 1/10 a pint for mild and 2 bob for bitter (and I still wouldn't pay that for Carling).

The BoE have already warned of potential inflation as every business seeks to make a make up to recover lost costs.

While I have sympathy with the problems that businesses have faced, they only have a short window of opportunity during which punters will pay over the odds. 6 months from now, nobody will be willing to pay 25% over the 2019 price of a haircut.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It isn't the same for me anymore. Going to pub seems more desperation than a good time at the moment. Think i'll route out my Grandad's old Parsnip wine recipe and sniff it at home in the garden and be pi$$ed immediately...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I gave up booze back in 2012 but even then I wasn't getting 3 pints for £10 in my local in Hebden Bridge.

I thought it was reasonable to charge double the price of supermarket beer but not four times the price!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But can you get used to it if your income hasn't gone up by the same percentage or do you look for alternatives?
(Supermarket beer?)

Beer and haircuts are two examples quoted, multiply that by many other products and services and people on a fixed income will feel it tremendously.
I'm retired and on a fixed income. I'm not complaining and appreciate why we will have to pay more for services and products from small business.

I'm waiting for the significant personal tax increases which have to come soon. All those who were furloughed etc. have to realise they will soon have to start repaying this money.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My local landlord has struggled, he's had shoot all income for the best part of a year, he's also had to invest in extra stuff, outdoor seating etc, and he still didn't make any money in 2020. I'm surprised he's still there, he's clung on. He has a 2 year old daughter to look after with no fixed income and I empathise with that. I'll happily pay him his 4.50 per pint (when I go, that's not quite yet) and I'll tip his barmen well, as I did in that brief honeymoon period last summer.
Independent pubs and their staff have had a hard life the last year. Support them if you can. And f**k Tim Martin and his McPub model with its disinformation and crap wages.

Top Bottom