The price of 2nd hand cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
8 year ago I bought a second hand ford focus that, at the time, was 10years old with 75000 miles on the clock. This was form a used car dealer. Sad to say the car is now getting scrapped, due to corrosion.

Looking around today, it seems that a Ford Focus 10 years old with 75000 miles on the clock, goes for about £3,500 at used car dealers.

What’s happened? Is this inflation?

vickster

Legendary Member
8 year ago I bought a second hand ford focus that, at the time, was 10years old with 75000 miles on the clock. This was form a used car dealer. Sad to say the car is now getting scrapped, due to corrosion.

Looking around today, it seems that a Ford Focus 10 years old with 75000 miles on the clock, goes for about £3,500 at used car dealers.

What’s happened? Is this inflation?
How much did you pay for the other one? Is it the same spec, model, colour, location, condition, history etc (presumably not the same generation)? I'd say it's more likely to be supply and demand, be it lower supply or higher demand. Petrol vs diesel, same (latter could well be cheaper now or less expensive)
Have you made an offer, dealers chancing their arm? What do the price guides suggest?
Maybe dealer expenses are higher now, such as business rates, maybe there's less competition now in dealer world in your area?

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
My brother lives in the SW. Cars there seem more expensive. He has found one up here more to his budget and is having to come up to get it.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I'm not a car lover. I'm not one for washing the car every weekend. A car is a tool to me, as long as it goes, great. I looked at PCP but I dont want a new car when I do 4000 - 5000 miles a year. So it looks like I'm going to have to pay c£3k for a low milage 10yr old.

Julia9054

Guru
I recommend a Skoda Fabia. Like you, I don’t do enough miles to warrant a new car. Got one a month ago for £2400 - 10 yrs old and done 50,000 miles. Its my second. Bought the last one a year ago - £1800, 12 years old and done 46,000. That one is really basic - no central locking or electric windows. Built like little tanks! Son now driving the older one.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I try and stick to sub 1k motors now. I paid £700 for an 02 Almera three years ago and it has done me proud. If you're careful you can get some decent old motors for pocket money prices. I like driving but I'm not interested in hi tech cars, I hate aircon and the thought of menu driven screens that need a fifty page manual to understand fills me with horror. My ABS and traction control are under my right foot and I've never pulled a handbrake lever and thought "I wish I could replace this with two grands worth of electronic junk connected to a button."

Gunk

Guru
I'm not a car lover. I'm not one for washing the car every weekend. A car is a tool to me, as long as it goes, great. I looked at PCP but I dont want a new car when I do 4000 - 5000 miles a year. So it looks like I'm going to have to pay c£3k for a low milage 10yr old.

Sounds sensible to me. Plenty to chose from, buy a low mileage car with plenty of history and it should be a reasonably painless experience

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Service history yes, mileage less of an issue now than it used to be. A properly looked after modernish car should be good for well into six figures. Especially if it's Japanese.

gbb

Legendary Member
£3500 for a 2010 Focus sounds a lot, unless its low mileage, in excellent t condition, 1 owner, FSH, some kind of warranty, that kind of thing. One with less attractive features would be worth what ?...half that I should think.

Drago

Legendary Member
Considering I was given a one owner, FVSH XC90 because its owner was offered pennies on a trade in, I would consider £3500 for a decade old Fucus a lot, regardless of its provenance. Trade values for cars that age are absolutely tiny, the mark up at Fred in a Shed or Bombsite Motors level is enormous.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Drago is right, that's a laughable price.

I sold a 10 year old Renault Megane a few months back. FSH, just me as the single owner, 70,000 miles. Book price was only about 1200.

3 and a half grand indeed... I suppose he must get the odd sucker that does zero research.

Top Bottom