The price of 2nd hand cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Without knowing what you paid for the Focus it's impossible to advise on inflation element however a quick search suggests that new cars have increased nearly 29% in the last 10 whereas earning have only increased by 6%, presumably this will have a knock on effect on 2nd hand prices.

If you fancy a nice 2010 Volvo C30 R-Design 41K I have one which I'm about to sell, £3,500 would buy it.

Jody

Stubborn git
If you fancy a nice 2010 Volvo C30 R-Design 41K I have one which I'm about to sell, £3,500 would buy it.

Sounds like decent deal given the mileage, year and spec. You should get that all day long depending on what engine it has.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I haven't bought my 'new' second hand car yet. I'm going shopping this weekend..... my mate at work reckons it's a sellers market out there due to PCP deals, hence the prices.

vickster

Legendary Member
3.5k on the screen, if you think the car is worth it, offer 2.5k, he'll still be making money

Used to be you'd have more chance haggling in the 3rd week of the month when sales targets are looming (maybe more main dealers than 'dishonest John' type places).
Or go for Phaeton's Volvo

vickster

Legendary Member
A small dealer would be making little to nothing at a grand under screen price.
He would if the trade in was a grand. He doesn't have to accept it (he can make a counter offer) and the buyer can walk away. The dealers make money in other ways too, finance, extended warranties etc. They've chosen that business for their livelihood.
After being shafted in the past by a used car dealer, I have little to no sympathy.

screenman

Legendary Member
3.5k on the screen, if you think the car is worth it, offer 2.5k, he'll still be making money

Used to be you'd have more chance haggling in the 3rd week of the month when sales targets are looming (maybe more main dealers than 'dishonest John' type places).
Or go for Phaeton's Volvo

If they have zero business overheads. It is very unlikely they have a grand clear in it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look at auto trader for similar prices. My son got a 3 year old Fabia Monte Carlo for £7k (new shape) from a local dealer. Most others were £8.5k.

Look around £3.5k for a 10 year old car is loads of money. I've seen £35k Infiniti's, just 3 years old, going for £12k, same with many cars. Focus's are pretty popular though.

Slightly less popular, you'll find a bargain - You could get a Zoe for about £6k-7k, 3 year old.

Jody

Stubborn git
He would if the trade in was a grand.

A £3.5k car is very unlikely to have been traded in for a grand unless the dealer is a shark. The only way you would knock a grand off the screen price is ask for a trade sale. Sold as seen. Dealer to dealer. They will take a small mark up and move it on knowing there is no come back.

I have a good idea how it works as I have spent the last 25 years working in the car trade.

D

Deleted member 26715

They will take a small mark up and move it on knowing there is no come back.
I have a good idea how it works as I have spent the last 25 years working in the car trade.
Then you should know that is illegal to sell a car to a member of public, car dealers are obliged by law to provide warranty, to get them to support that is another matter

Jody

Stubborn git
I am talking about a trade sale. There is nothing stopping a member of the public claiming to be a small trader asking for a direct sale with no warranty conditions. Whether the dealer obliges is another question but it does happen and isn't illegal.

vickster

Legendary Member
A £3.5k car is very unlikely to have been traded in for a grand unless the dealer is a shark. The only way you would knock a grand off the screen price is ask for a trade sale. Sold as seen. Dealer to dealer. They will take a small mark up and move it on knowing there is no come back.

I was basing the grand trade in on post #14 above. Megane, 10 years old, 70k miles...so similar to the focus in the OP

Jody

Stubborn git
I was basing the grand trade in on post #14 above. Megane, 10 years old, 70k miles...so similar to the focus in the OP

Fair enough :okay: It doesn't usually work like that but as said there are a few sharks out there.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough :okay: It doesn't usually work like that but as said there are a few sharks out there.
So, out of interest, in the trade guide, what would be the trade in value of a 2010 Focus, 70k miles in good condition (you're in the trade so presumably have the book to hand, not usually accessible to the public)?

Actually this gives an idea (might be a bit more for lower mileage, but I'm not paying to find out :laugh:)... https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/focus/hatchback-2005/16-style-5d-(08)/92/used-prices/
Part Exchange:£1,105

Top Bottom