The price of nostalgia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've been looking on ebay at bikes & I've come across a bike like my very first bike, a Raleigh Mayflower
£40 for a bike I'm never going to ride, is it worth it :blush:
mayflower0001.jpg

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Definitely!!!!

Nostalgia is only desirable if you cannot repeat what makes you nostalgic. Once you own the bike it will be a millstone around your neck or at the very least, a clothes horse. I once had to buy a pin-ball machine for nostalgic reasons. I sold it on some years later and never missed it again. Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
No. The bike(s) you have now will be more like your first bike in one important respect: you can ride it. Look on whatever you have now as your first bike's direct successor and remember the Mayflower for the good times you had on it and how it set you on the road to years of cycling cycling pleasure.

Bobtoo

Über Member
There's no point in it moving from the depths of the previous owner's shed to the depths of yours so I'd say only buy it if it's going to get used or at least seen.

I love the brakes, I've never seen that arrangement before.

mustang1

Legendary Member
No. The bike(s) you have now will be more like your first bike in one important respect: you can ride it. Look on whatever you have now as your first bike's direct successor and remember the Mayflower for the good times you had on it and how it set you on the road to years of cycling cycling pleasure.

When I got back into cycling, I had a 1992 MTB. I finally let it go a few years ago because I had a new first bike. I let that go too a couple of years ago. Now incan think of them as nostalgia. Now my current crop of bikes... I don't like them in the same way I liked those first two bikes (esp the MTB).

.....yep, that nostalgia thing is a strange one - suffer from it a bit myself. Downloaded a bunch of old British motorbike stuff to watch recently, reminiscing about my carefree days on an old Triumph Thunderbird( and a few Hondas). Clips showed some of the owners going through the start up procedure, and then attempt to kick them into life, sometimes a complete failure.

So that's that itch scratched, back to reality..........

PS - nice photo - reminds me of a mixte frame

Top Bottom