The Problem with Multi-Modal Commuting #1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...is that you can board the train in a completely dry, quite pleasant area of the country, and leave it again in driving sleet :evil:

Of course, the dry bit has to be the 2 1/2 mile trip to Crewe Station, and the sleety bit the 12 miles from Wilmslow into Manchester...

Tetedelacourse

not to mention cycling in planning to get train home (due to time constraints) and you get bumped at the station cos the train's full.

ChrisKH

Guru
not to mention sitting next to all those City Slickers with your Ron Hill Bikester's on. All the secretaries trying so hard not to look at your crotch.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It was a bit crazy this morning - snowing really heavily as I left home and then sleeting as I got towards work (Sth Manchester).

This afternoon - left the gloves off and the windproof head cap - sunny and reasonably warm...crazy !

Maz

Guru
Not to mention the...(oops, I promised not to mention it :smile:)

You multi-modal guys must have to get your timing right if you're ever running late, or hope that the train's been delayed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ChrisKH said:
not to mention sitting next to all those City Slickers with your Ron Hill Bikester's on. All the secretaries trying so hard not to look at your crotch.
It would be much better if the Secretaries wore Bikesters...:smile:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
not to mention cycling in planning to get train home (due to time constraints) and you get bumped at the station cos the train's full.
Not happened so far - I try to use Northern Trains, who are generally very reasonable about bike carriage. The exception is the train to Cardiff, which is run by Arriva Wales (usually ok, but if they aren't, I'm happy to get off at the next stop (Crewe, my destination :smile: ) )

ChrisKH said:
As far as I know, no one has looked at my crotch so far. I don't know whether to be pleased, or disappointed.

Maz said:
You multi-modal guys must have to get your timing right if you're ever running late, or hope that the train's been delayed.

It's really not too bad - times on the bike are generally pretty predictable - I leave a ten minute margin of error for the homeward "to train" leg, and never really need it to arrive on time.

I think I'm fortunate to be travelling on the line that runs to Crewe though, trains are generally every half hour or so.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
This afternoon - left the gloves off and the windproof head cap - sunny and reasonably warm...crazy !

Today was weird in Manchester - winter in the morning, spring/early summer in the afternoon...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
ChrisKH said:

Aye, it is more fun in summer when you have lycra shorts on:evil:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Maz said:

My home run to the train is like that scene from 'Goodfellas' where the FBI helicopter is following Ray Liota on a drugs drop. Get it wrong, and I have to face the full and righteous wrath of Bolletta's teacher.

ChrisKH

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
Aye, it is more fun in summer when you have lycra shorts on:evil:

I steadfastly refuse to wear Lycra on the train; everyone looks at you like you're some sort of Perv. Generally wear MTB shorts. I take Lycra separate if i'm going to be riding home.

ChrisKH said:
I steadfastly refuse to wear Lycra on the train; everyone looks at you like you're some sort of Perv. Generally wear MTB shorts. I take Lycra separate if i'm going to be riding home.

Ooh no, I love wearing Lycra and showing off my legs and body in general. Such a contrast to the fat, snoring, corpulent salarymen in the carriage. I quite enjoy the appraising looks I get from the ladies, and from some men.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I love the looks you get in lycra, well cool!!

Oh, except for this sleazebag in the toilets in Hyde Park yesterday. A real slimey character, he was playing with himself, had a slack-faced expression, very freaky!

Top Bottom