The proud dumb phone owners thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ericsson R250s Pro. Will take a 5G SIM card.
CAM01062.jpg

With a Nokia 3510i alongside for scale.

The smartphone is as useful and insidious as the car. We have come to believe we must have them, and have better ones every year or two. Both are taking over the world.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don’t do Facebook, can also go 3 minutes without checking my email but do need quality internet at my disposal.

Which I think if you forgo the outdated stereotypes, is probably true for most smart phone owners.

I guess if you’re retired it is less important. But probably worth remembering that large numbers of workers now often aren’t purely desk based and it’s on online world hence the need for internet at our disposal.
The first step on the road to recovery is to recognise that you have a problem.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The smartphone is as useful and insidious as the car. We have come to believe we must have them, and have better ones every year or two. Both are taking over the world.

Well observed. Phones are packed full of rare earth metals for the circuits and battery, and there's little on this planet as destructive and polluting as their mining and refining. That's fine, but then pefectly serviceable phones are being cast aside at 18 or 24 months simply because they're no longer curting edge. Aside from being financially disadvantageous, it's needlessly damaging. It's astonishing that cyclists who disapprove of road traffic pollution are happy to indulge in this cycle of pollution without a second thought. The human race is currently using a years worth of planetary resources every 7 months - this cycle of needless consumerism is contributing to our planet's demise.

I'll be using my toughphone as long as it lives, which I hope to be many years.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well observed. Phones are packed full of rare earth metals for the circuits and battery, and there's little on this planet as destructive and polluting as their mining and refining. That's fine, but then pefectly serviceable phones are being cast aside at 18 or 24 months simply because they're no longer curting edge. Aside from being financially disadvantageous, it's needlessly damaging. It's astonishing that cyclists who disapprove of road traffic pollution are happy to indulge in this cycle of pollution without a second thought. The human race is currently using a years worth of planetary resources every 7 months - this cycle of needless consumerism is contributing to our planet's demise.

I'll be using my toughphone as long as it lives, which I hope to be many years.
If the 250 should fail, I can go to the R310. Or the Nokia 2010.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The fundamental GSM voice algorithm remains unchanged, so these 20 year old Nokia's, Ericsson's etc that end up in landfill or crushed for recycling probably work perfectly well. That's a terrible shame.

We we wouldn't bin a TV, torch, radio, hairdryer, electric drill, fan, blender, cd player, toaster or car that worked reliably and well, yet phones have taken on more significance as a fashion statement to the detriment of our planet and have a painfully short life cycle. Luckily, fashion passed me by in 1976.

Top Bottom