The proud dumb phone owners thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
but it’s the only landline phone that works in the house when there’s a power cut.
My youngest son rang me at work a couple of weeks ago to tell me he had just got home from school and the lights weren't working, or the house phones, or the television! I explained there was probably a powercut and he asked me how would i know? I told him to look out of the window and see if the streetlights were on or if any lights on at neighbours houses?
I then also had to remind him about the 'emergency' phone on the top shelf in the dining room that would still be working even with the powercut, if he ran out of credit or battery for his mobile.
I also told him NOT to go in the fridge or freezer until the power came back on!!!
We don't get many powercuts, I guess this was probably the first he has had to experience while being old enough to understand what is going on (he's nearly 13!) Kids today don't know how lucky they are......

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Because Mrs D has MS and is a vulnerable customer, if we get a power cut of any real duration Western Power deliver a holding great generator on a trailer to my driveway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My youngest son rang me at work a couple of weeks ago to tell me he had just got home from school and the lights weren't working, or the house phones, or the television! I explained there was probably a powercut and he asked me how would i know? I told him to look out of the window and see if the streetlights were on or if any lights on at neighbours houses?
I then also had to remind him about the 'emergency' phone on the top shelf in the dining room that would still be working even with the powercut, if he ran out of credit or battery for his mobile.
I also told him NOT to go in the fridge or freezer until the power came back on!!!
We don't get many powercuts, I guess this was probably the first he has had to experience while being old enough to understand what is going on (he's nearly 13!) Kids today don't know how lucky they are......

Back in 1988 I was renting with a couple of young women. I came home after a night out to find them siiting in the dark in the lounge. They said there had been a power cut. I pointed out that quite a few houses either side were lit up and street lights were on. Turns out there had tripped the circuit breaker after running too many high current items at once. Flicked the circuiit breaker, power restored.

classic33

Leg End Member
Opposite side of the street are on a different circuit, with the street lights on another. So not always worth checking.

It's when you've no power, telly/computer/games console, you're made aware of just how much you rely on it. Always have a battery powered radio though and something to read.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Opposite side of the street are on a different circuit, with the street lights on another. So not always worth checking.

It's when you've no power, telly/computer/games console, you're made aware of just how much you rely on it. Always have a battery powered radio though and something to read.
When the power trips off in my neighbourhood it takes out the lot without fail. We have plenty of torches and bike lights. If we get really desperate we can dig out the camping gear to cook a meal.

Top Bottom