The Pyrenees - Road Riding, Mountain Biking & Enduro Riding…… and more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Sadly, just as the season should be picking up speed and people should be flocking to our area to ride the Enduro & XC MTB Trails of Zona Zero or road riding the Cols & Valleys of the Pyrenees, the Corona Virus has, overnight, stopped everything dead in its tracks.

I had friends visiting - they arrived from a wet and windy Scotland on Thursday night in their two camper vans for three weeks of riding in the sunshine - and by Sunday lunchtime they were on their way home. Both of them and I are gutted.

Spain enetered a State of Emergency on Friday and on Sunday evening a sever restriction of movement of people was announced, to start 8am on Monday morning.

The trails are closed, even to locals. There's a 2000€ fine if you get caught Running / Jogging or Cycling at all during the next 15 days. The reason behind this isn't so much a case of keeping people away from each other but rather reducing the number of people who could potentially hurt themselves / be involved in some sort of accident and require hospital treatment. I know some people will argue that you could just as easily have a kitchen related accident over the next 15 days as fall of your bike - but they've had to make decisions and this is one of the calls they've made.

If this 15 day quarantine period is enough to slow the spread of the virus, and therefore the demand on hospital treatment, enough then maybe we can salvage the Easter holidays - but I think that's maybe a big ask given the scale of things.

At least this is to some degree (or at least we all hope so) a finite problem. Within a period of time this little peanut of a virus will have done it's worst and we can start putting our lives back together. I fear though that the cost we're all going to pay, financially and otherwise, is going to be high.

I know there's talk of this virus being too tough to beat, but I can't think along those lines right now. If that turns out to be the case them we're really going to be in trouble!

Keep well everyone.

B.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The lockdown in Spain continues. New rules/laws and been added/modified daily as quarantine procedures are fine tuned.

In fact, most of the "updates" are just a case of the authorities tightening up in areas of the law where people are taking advantage. For instance "Yes, you are allowed to walk to the shops to buy food - please go alone and go straight there and back again" has had to be written down because "technically, I can walk to the shops and back three times a day via the scenic route and just buy some chappies when I get there". People hey?

Here are a couple of photo's of the main road in Boltaña which runs past the flat we're renting. Normally on a Saturday afternoon this close to Easter the place would be pumping - pavement cafe's open, cyclists riding, families walking etc etc.

I didn't break any laws taking these photo's btw!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Hopefully it won't be too long now before our Lockdown is over.

It's going to take a while for life to return to something we recognise as "normal" and it could well end up being different to what we've been used to.....but in the end the Mountains will still be silently looking down on us and the countryside will still be there for us to enjoy.

Loving and living in the Pyrenees . . . . .

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
First "Post Lockdown" Ride today and it was amazing! A couple of hours of MTB on my local trails. We've been allowed to go out and exercise for a week now but today was my first chance to get out.

Nothing too serious - was just nice to get out and spin the legs. Saw a few other people out - some jogging and some riding, but Ainsa town itself was deserted apart from a couple of people outside the pharmacy.

Was certainly a lovely day for it!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Remembering last summer!

The long, light, warm evenings are nearly here again and I'm looking forward to it.

Our restaurants have been allowed to open this week. Outside seating only and with a space between tables, but it's a step in the right direction!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The last few days have been wet enough for me not to be able to go to work - but dry enough to shoot out for a couple of hours if I time it right!

Todays ride included a singletrack section through "The Badlands". Normally there's a well worn "line" that you can follow at speed. Currently, due to lots of rain and almost no one riding the trails, the line is gone. Not a major problem until you get to a blind rise with a left or right turn on its peak - where a clue would be nice!!

Anyway I'm happy to be out . . . . .

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Beautiful weather today and my ride took me through the Plaza up in the old town. Saw very few other people and none of the bars or restaurants were open. Down in the new town there were a couple of places open and serving drinks to customers seated outside......

Happy we're starting to come out of this now!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Riding up towards the Partara view point above Ainsa, if you stop 5 mins into the climb and look behind you, you see this!

Most people don't think to look back. :-(
Most people miss this. :-(
As an MTB guide, I tell people when to look backwards :-)

First "Post Lockdown" Ride today and it was amazing! A couple of hours of MTB on my local trails. We've been allowed to go out and exercise for a week now but today was my first chance to get out.
So very pleased for you - and everyone else in "hard" lockdown countries! A lot of us have been frustrated at sticking to an hour-or-two on our rides, so I have enormous sympathy for your situation!

p.s. can I just confirm you live around 42km into this ride I did: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/40973039
?
Completely stunning area! in my 1 week trip I found the Pyrenees much more varied than the Alps. I climbed the Tourmalet 4 days later - which is around 50 miles away? It was like a different world!
I will definitely visit again, safety permitting :smile:

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
So very pleased for you - and everyone else in "hard" lockdown countries! A lot of us have been frustrated at sticking to an hour-or-two on our rides, so I have enormous sympathy for your situation!

p.s. can I just confirm you live around 42km into this ride I did: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/40973039
?
Completely stunning area! in my 1 week trip I found the Pyrenees much more varied than the Alps. I climbed the Tourmalet 4 days later - which is around 50 miles away? It was like a different world!
I will definitely visit again, safety permitting :smile:

You rode past our front door. Literally.

We're currently renting a flat on the "high street" in Boltana, which is what the N-260 becomes as it passes through.

Our build project is in the village of Guaso, 3km south of the N-260 just east of Boltana and Ainsa is 5km down the road.

It is a beautiful area and the N-260 is a erally nice road to ride. Clean, well mintained and rarely hasmre than a few cars on it. Even in summer.

Let me know if you do ever come back this way!

Top Bottom