The questions-you-feel-you-ought-to-know-the-answer-to Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My guess is they put the high value items in the window while most of their trade is in lower value bulk goods.
The parasite that is CeX does the same thing. Laptops, tablets and phones up front, second hand dvds/games inside.

Either that or money laundering.
No,it's not one of those 'Cash Converter' type shops. When they let you in via the security locked door all you see is a small shop with nothing on display,apart from the stuff I mentioned in the window. The owners are behind toughened glass. I've been told the shop's been there for 25 years. I think there's some kind of money laundering going on. Maybe handling and receiving as well.

23286780.jpg

https://www.yell.com/biz/albemarle-and-bond-pawnbrokers-ltd-accrington-1262843/

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They're loan sharks. They make their money from loans. They take jewellery as security and only sell it if the loan isn't repaid.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They're loan sharks. They make their money from loans. They take jewellery as security and only sell it if the loan isn't repaid.
Is that legal? Being a 'loan shark' I mean.

I've looked up their second hand gold prices. They charge a fair bit less than other second hand gold sellers you see on fleabay etc. Hum,yes they're definitely dodgy. I'm going into town later this aft'. Maybe I could go in a do a bit of investigating. I could just come out with " Are you loan sharks and what interest rates do you charge"?

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
. I think there's some kind of money laundering going on. Maybe handling and receiving as well.
They're loan sharks

Errr... No. They're pawnbrokers. And licensed credit brokers regulated by the FCA. Who would be rather stern if they thought there was a sniff of irregularity.

Diogenes has the business model roughly right, but the description as "loan shark", with the connotations of dodgy men with baseball bats and interest rates up in the thousands of percent, is potentially defamatory. It's certainly not a cheap way of borrowing, but it's far better than an unsecured loan.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What's the difference between alloy wheels on a car and steel wheels? I know 'alloys' are mentioned when dealers sell cars,so do they just look good or do they make an average car perform better?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Another car question. If for example a car for sale has done 50,000 miles is selling at £5000. Why would a same model car that's done 5000 miles be roughly the same price as the 50,000 miles car? Do miles done not depreciate the value of cars ? I've seen a few Toyota Aygos of the same year go for roughly the same price even though one might've done 5 times as many miles as the other.

Top Bottom