The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Pop quiz: what was the most numerous class of locomotive to run on UK railways?

Clues:

1. It's not the one you think it is.

2. It was designed by the same man without which the internal combustion engine would be nigh-on impossible.

3. There are none left.

robjh

Legendary Member
Pop quiz: what was the most numerous class of locomotive to run on UK railways?

Clues:

1. It's not the one you think it is.

2. It was designed by the same man without which the internal combustion engine would be nigh-on impossible.

3. There are none left.
Hmm, that's a good question.

None left, you say, so it's not the Black 5, class 47 or 57xx panier.

Before I go off and start googling, I'm going to guess at some sort of Midland Railway 0-6-0. I'll come back later and compare this with other, researched, answers.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
But not Midland...

(Confession: Mr Google says it's actually the Class 08 diesel shunter but I'm talking about main line locomotives here).

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
But not Midland...

(Confession: Mr Google says it's actually the Class 08 diesel shunter but I'm talking about main line locomotives here).
996 built
"However, about 100 Class 08 diesel shunters still remain in regular use on the network today, mostly in industrial sidings and depot and a further 60 exist in preservation on various heritage railways and continue to shunt wagons, coaches and locos and hauling engineering trains."

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/lococlass08.htm

Mike_P

Guru
Not sure the question is wholly correct as if it's not any that have been mentioned surely it's a generic type, such as a Midland 0-6-0, which actually comprises a number of different classes.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
But not Midland...

After googling, I guess the answer - give or take the possible number of 08s - is the LNWR DX class 0-6-0, built from 1858 to 1862 and all scrapped by the 1930s.
943 built according to Wikipedia.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, LNWR DX Goods. Some of them made it to LMS days. Utterly forgotten now, along with John Ramsbottom, who also invented the metal piston ring, water trough and the first safety valve that couldn't be tampered with.

Top Bottom