The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Whats even more mysterious is why we stopped building new locomotives in the UK ... After Brush Traction was closed by American owners Wabtec last year the skills have been lost forever ...

Three factors - price, reliability and commissioning. The last Brush diesel loco (Class 60) came in roughly about the same time as the Class 66s from GM were being considered. They were the same price in dollars as the Brush loco was in GBP, worked straight out of the box and had a simple, but very reliable 2-stroke diesel. Traction was much better too with the AC motors. The Brush loco had a very sophisticated anti-slip system necessary for heavy haul with DC motors, but getting it working properly was a pain. They are not the only ones that suffered from US dominance. Most European diesel loco builders (particularly for freight) struggled to overcome the reputation for relative poor reliability. Without the domestic market, many more would have failed.

The drivers hate the class 66s, I hear, but it was the bean counters, not them, that drove the procurement.

On the electric side, I'm going to blame British Rail. The last two Brush electric locos were the Channel Tunnel shuttle locos, which were a bit special, and the Class 92, which was a classic case of BR meddling procurement. The spec suffered badly from scope creep and became a 'do everything but not particurlarly well or reliably' job. And then electric loco procurement disappeared in the UK with no effective electrification strategy meaning that all freight operators went for diesel power as it could go anywhere. Whether you blame it on privitisation of freight operators for not buying the locos, or the state government for not supporting electrification I guess depends on your politics, but Brush as a viable loco builder died when the last shuttle loco left Loughborough.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
EMD 2-stroke engines have been the market leaders for decades but we had disasters like the Metrovicks because, back in the 50s, we couldn't afford to buy anything from abroad.

Deltics were 2-stroke as well but were very high-maintenance. ISTR they cost twice as much to keep going than something with a V12 or V16 4-stroke engine, although their power was needed until the HSTs came out.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
That was mostly due to oil accumulating in the exhaust collector drum and then being burnt off. It was also bad if the engine had been idling for a long time.

Thursday was a Bank Holiday in Germany, so I decided on a short ride which grew and grew until I went into France landed in Colmar.

So of course I went to the railway station.

2022_05_26_Colmar_21.jpg

Which has an impressive frontage then seems to lose heart immediately.

2022_05_26_Colmar_23b.jpg

There was a cross border local service in the station; this serves a local network that includes several German towns. Through ticketing has been part of the system for many years now, and a lot of people commute over the border.

2022_05_26_Colmar_23a.jpg

There was also a rather nice locomotive hauled train, whereupon my knowledge ends I'm afraid: I know very little about French railways.

2022_05_26_Colmar_25.jpg

2022_05_26_Colmar_24.jpg

Nice looking locomotive though. The driving trailer on the other end was so ugly I didn't dare try and photograph in case my phone exploded.

Nice looking locomotive though

“Sybic” French dual voltage do it all.

I'd guess they are not allowed the freedom to do more than make sure the growth doesn't actually cause problems. Wholesale spraying probably banned.

I know we have a weed killing wagon, with a ISO tank and a pump, and only used once a year, all I do is fit the pump before it starts, and remove pump after finished and wash it out and put it in storage.

The fence to fence is more regular, the whole point in riding a heritage railway is to see the train and view from it, and to allow people to lean out of windows and viewing platforms without the risk of being hit by a tree or bush, however also don't want to remove the natural habitat, so it is a careful balance, the main tool is a tractor mounted flail mower sitting on a low loader being towed slowly by a diesel loco. Seems to work well.

With a steam powered railway, the driver needs to oil and grease the engine before each run, so the oil which comes out of axle boxes, and is injected into the steam in the cylinders means the problem is stopping oil from the track and station getting into the water course, and plants do not grow on station platforms or rails, it has always been said grass does not grow on a busy street.

Top Bottom