The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Some more French railway rolling stoc. , First one an engine in a shed, but all the rails each side are gone

DSC_2305.JPG

Sallar55

Veteran
Some wagons

DSC_2319.JPG

DSC_2318.JPG

DSC_2316.JPG

DSC_2325.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member

robjh

Legendary Member
Traces of the Dornoch Light Railway, which ran as a branch off the Highland Railway's Far North line, above Inverness, and closed in 1960.

Dornoch station building
20220620 (16) Dornoch railway traces.jpg

trackside hut near Skelbo
20220620 (17) Dornoch railway traces.jpg

Two random facts about this line :
1) in its very last years it was operated by two WR class 1600 pannier tanks - were these the only GWR/WR locos to ever operate in Scotland?
2) in the 1980s there was an unsuccessful campaign to have the Far North line speeded up by rerouting it across the new Dornoch Firth road bridge then being built, and the new section would have used some of the Dornoch line's trackbed, but it was not approved and so Wick/Thurso trains continue to rattle scenically but slowly around the longer route inland via Lairg.

Any idea what the story is with those clerestory wagons, eg. the one in the last photo? I don't recall seeing anything like that in France before. I'm guessing that they were originally passenger stock but later converted to other uses, and pretty old - maybe 1920s?

I don't know much about French Railways, but those look like French Post carriages. I don't know if they were converted or if they were purpose built though. They seem to be pretty popular amongst preserved railways in France. Here's another one at Neuf-Brisach, on the French/German border:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_23.JPG

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
That came from the Finnish reserve about 1990, for a tourist line that fell through. There are quite a few Finnish locos round the country.
Thanks @Hover Fly . When I’m passing by another time there maybe some one around who will let me have a closer look and answer some questions.

Top Bottom