The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And then there's this:

Zwickau_TrainTram.jpg

I think the W&L was officially a "light railway" whereas a "Tram" locomotive is like the BP loco above with all motion hidden. I think they also had to avoid any steam or smoke.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Trams are great unless you’re riding a bike and get stuck in one of the lines as I did once whilst in Sheffield.

Clearly the steam tram shown would have produced steam and smoke, but all the motion was behind covers. The old film Genevieve seems to show cars also could get stuck in the lines.

View attachment 657914

I don't have the book to hand but the Board of Trade specifications in "Narrow gauge adventure" said that steam trams were not to show steam or smoke on the highway, which is why many had condensing apparatus. As the book points out the rules were nearly impossible, and a lot of locomotives were built to the rules and after the DoT had allowed the line to run, various bits and pieces were removed so they would work better.
Over all, it was probably a relief to everyone when electricity became the norm.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've thankfully never worked out how that happens, despite cycling extensively in Stuttgart which has dual gauge track and a metre gauge rack tram with the teeth for the rack set into the road.

I don't like riding between/beside tram tracks. I ride very carefully keeping my line, then do a sharp 45° movement to get across them. Only been caught once.

Mike_P

Guru
When the new Nottingham tramlines were being built a lesson they learnt from Sheffield was not to lay the tracks on the normal vehicle wheel alignment so those are presumably are further from the kerb

Spartak