The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought some of you who are into model trains as well might be interested in this, it’s a model railway that is used to train signalmen in Germany. There are also some of the older methods of point operation to use.

View: https://youtu.be/6TLcaJdsRr0

I believe Croydon Tramlink had a smaller version of this.

Last edited:
The problem is so many different systems, not like driving a car where learn the highway code and off you go. I know the blue levers local lock the points, not just the black leaver, but at the points as well. And trains carry a token for the section. There does not need to be a blue level for rails not carrying passengers. And we also have a system for flags and signals.

I think the only lights are on level crossings, some the fireman has to walk into road with red flag, one has a time delay, so the barriers can't come down until there has been a time for traffic to clear, it does cause a problem when that station is end of run, as to put engine at front of train, it has to go over the crossing, ground frames operated, then return, but crossing counts axles so once engine clear, barriers open, then driver has to wait, and then press button to return.

The bell is not longer required, as the road section never reopened, engines only have whistles and horns, no bells any more. But I have never trained as a fireman, it is not the best job in hot weather, and need to pass out as fireman before one can start training as a driver. I have a feeling may need to train as guard before fireman but not sure.

We have three signal boxes, but think one only has the radio repeater housed in it, and the station uses ground frames, the guard has the radio, not any loco crew, so not sure how guard tells loco crew? I have not seen an emergency cord, and never looked on how the guard applies brakes, I think he only has a wheel to brake the carriages while he disconnects and connects hoses.

Seems brakes work with a double vacuum one pushes brakes on, and other off, with a single vacuum line between carriages, second line is for the steam heaters.

The carriages have no way for transfer carriage to carriage so guard can only apply on carriages brakes. However speed limit is 15 MPH flat out.

Mike_P

Guru
The problem is so many different systems, not like driving a car where learn the highway code and off you go.

Not necessarily that simple though. A favourite of mine buying a new car is to ask how does the fuel cap come off, often resulting in a salesman who does not have a clue. Another is how do you engage reverse, was completely puzzled by one car that required a button to be pushed on the gear lever meanwhile it kept on inching forward not backwards.

The problem is so many different systems, not like driving a car where learn the highway code and off you go. I know the blue levers local lock the points, not just the black leaver, but at the points as well. And trains carry a token for the section. There does not need to be a blue level for rails not carrying passengers. And we also have a system for flags and signals.

I think the only lights are on level crossings, some the fireman has to walk into road with red flag, one has a time delay, so the barriers can't come down until there has been a time for traffic to clear, it does cause a problem when that station is end of run, as to put engine at front of train, it has to go over the crossing, ground frames operated, then return, but crossing counts axles so once engine clear, barriers open, then driver has to wait, and then press button to return.

The bell is not longer required, as the road section never reopened, engines only have whistles and horns, no bells any more. But I have never trained as a fireman, it is not the best job in hot weather, and need to pass out as fireman before one can start training as a driver. I have a feeling may need to train as guard before fireman but not sure.

We have three signal boxes, but think one only has the radio repeater housed in it, and the station uses ground frames, the guard has the radio, not any loco crew, so not sure how guard tells loco crew? I have not seen an emergency cord, and never looked on how the guard applies brakes, I think he only has a wheel to brake the carriages while he disconnects and connects hoses.

Seems brakes work with a double vacuum one pushes brakes on, and other off, with a single vacuum line between carriages, second line is for the steam heaters.

The carriages have no way for transfer carriage to carriage so guard can only apply on carriages brakes. However speed limit is 15 MPH flat out.

I seem to remember there was a two aspect colour light as the outer home at Llanfair. I'm not sure about Welshpool

I had one car with sliding rear doors, and a micro switch stopped doors being opened when the filler flap was opened.
I seem to remember there was a two aspect colour light as the outer home at Llanfair. I'm not sure about Welshpool
I know there is a massive box with relays in it, on the way to Tanllan, but walked that bit of line many times, seen electric cables to points, but can't recall any lights, just a signal before the signal box. But walking route takes me other side of engine shed, so if along side engine shed I may have missed it, will look when down there on Wednesday.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Went to the GWSR diesel gala yesterday. Most of the stuff actually running was in BR blue (except for a faded green Class 20). The Deltic, pictured next to a class 37, was the guest loco. It sounded very smooth, although they never run on both engines on preserved lines as one engine is quite sufficient for 25mph.

Attachments

• 20220731_092416.jpg
    20220731_092416.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220731_104848.jpg
    20220731_104848.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220731_111217.jpg
    20220731_111217.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220731_123539.jpg
    20220731_123539.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220731_140855.jpg
    20220731_140855.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 4
Thursday 4th

Middleton Railway
Moor Lane
Hunslet
Leeds
(adjacent to jct 5/M621)

3841F73A-6C16-42A3-9EDC-D4603A10F10D.jpeg

513741FA-917C-43D6-ADE2-46C9F40A8D7D.jpeg

https://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/development-projects/conserving-picton
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4930156

Last edited:
Given that trams are little trains
Well that one is, I would have called it a train, to my mind a tram is when it is a single unit, however this early tram

1660890754803.png
Clearly towed the passenger carrying bit in the same way as the earlier horse drawn tram. Unfortunately it was left on the low loader, so could not really look inside, it was at the Beyer Bash weekend at the Welshpool & Llanfair light railway.

I hadn't been to Birmingham for some years, and last night was the first time I have seen the trams running through the centre past the Town Hall and down to New Street. Given that trams are little trains, I felt this was worth posting here.
View attachment 657889

Those look very smart. I didn't realise they'd reached the centre of Birmingham.

Well that one is, I would have called it a train, to my mind a tram is when it is a single unit, however this early tram

2021_02_18_Karlsruhe_05.JPG

These think they are trains: the Karlsruhe system runs on normal railway lines outside of the city.

The trams now even run through the Black Forest, and I've found myself travelling on a "tram" between stations in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees.

I don't seem to have any pictures of them on heavy rail lines at the moment, so I'll try and rectify that next time I go through Karlsruhe.

Last edited:
tram = a passenger vehicle powered by electricity conveyed by overhead cables, and running on rails laid in a public road.
historical = a low four-wheeled cart or barrow used in coal mines.
So is the Welsh highland railway a tram? It shares a large lump of road/bridge with road traffic, but road traffic is stopped when it crosses, so more likely a level crossing.

My local railway did run through Welshpool on the road, but seem to remember a man with red flag stopped traffic.
So it seems called a tram where it runs with road transport with no barriers or traffic lights to give either priority, there are some points in Blackpool where that is the case, although for most of the run, it is either shared with pedestrians or fenced off.

A single unit which carries passengers is called a railcar. Although the local one is simply called the Wasp.

1660896863827.png
Not my picture, very rarely used, after it seems it ran away down the Golfa hill. But before my time. As is this one
1660897113946.png
Is that a train or a tram? And if a tram, is it still a tram now that section no longer used?

Top Bottom