The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now in Brussels, where some of the trains aren't as well loved as in the UK.

View attachment 659433

The dreaded tagging; the bane of most European railways existence. I don't know why it happens here so much, except that some people have too much money for spray paint...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
GWR mainly uses the Class 57 to pull sleeper trains but they are getting extremely old. I believe they are looking at a UK version of the bi-mode Stadler EuroDual locos as a possible replacement but the cost is very high, and not that many people use the sleeper services.

Class 69 is another re-engined loco (like 57 and, if you're old enough, 31). Old Class 56 freight locos re-engineered with EMD engines and electrics.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
GWR mainly uses the Class 57 to pull sleeper trains but they are getting extremely old. I believe they are looking at a UK version of the bi-mode Stadler EuroDual locos as a possible replacement but the cost is very high, and not that many people use the sleeper services.
That's a shame, it's a great way to travel. I always went on the sleeper to Edinburgh and once travelled from St.Pancras down to Hanover by sleeper through France and Belgium, changing engines along the way. It was done so well it didn't even wake me up .

That's a shame, it's a great way to travel. I always went on the sleeper to Edinburgh and once travelled from St.Pancras down to Hanover by sleeper through France and Belgium, changing engines along the way. It was done so well it didn't even wake me up .

DB Still runs them; the Daily Sylt-Lörrach sleeper train with car carrying waggons passes work at about 0900ish, and I remember using a night train between Munich and Frankfurt, at some point we met three other trains and they shuffled the carriages like a deck of cards so we all got put on the correct train.

I caught a sleeper to Amsterdam when I went to get my Bakfiets and it was a very pleasant experience waking up on the approach to the city.

Jameshow

Veteran

Class 69 is another re-engined loco (like 57 and, if you're old enough, 31). Old Class 56 freight locos re-engineered with EMD engines and electrics.

Why don't they use class 91 to take over the sleeper?

Mike_P

Guru
Why don't they use class 91 to take over the sleeper?

Lack of overhead wires for the full route

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't know the details, but HSTs generally have their own carriage sets. There may be a compatibility issue such as lack of multiple unit pass-through. You always need two of them unless there is a turntable at Penzance!

Mike_P

Guru
Sleeping coaches are heavier than normal coaches by c.10T so a pretty sure footed loco is needed not a pair (or more) of high revving machines which in any case are up to 46 years old, by the same backtracking in time the A4s were designed, built and withdrawn in a lesser time period.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sleeping coaches are heavier than normal coaches by c.10T so a pretty sure footed loco is needed not a pair (or more) of high revving machines which in any case are up to 46 years old, by the same backtracking in time the A4s were designed, built and withdrawn in a lesser time period.

10t what the heck do they put in them?!!

Spartak