The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Furness last Saturday

360C439D-75F0-4AE5-9F2A-DB37F5AA04B4.jpeg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cat 68013 Peter Wreford -Bush waiting to leave Birmingham Moor Street on the 14:55 to London Marylebone.

Catching this to Solihull. I love these Cats, quite noisy for a modern loco. I'm surprised these passed noise regs if there are such things.

It's the Severn Valley Railways autumn diesel bash this weekend, two class 56 rostered Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately Saturday is the rail strike, so I will be going on the Sunday.
Yes, there are noise regs. Pass-by noise of 85dB at 80km/h, 7.5m from the centre of the track, in case you were interested. 89dB for starting noise (pulling away).

BrumJim

I'm astonished that the rules have been changed to allow the yellow ends to be removed under certain circumstances; I thought they'd be there forever.

Don't get me on that!

Essentially it is the EU that has got rid of our yellow front ends. At this point I could break into a fearsome pro-Brexit rant, but yellow front ends were only introduced to improve visibility for non-steam trains. Now, with greater controls on track working, three front end lights, and specific requirements for their beam and intensity, it doesn't add anything to visibility at all.

Only new trains can get away without the yellow fronts. It is possible to lose the yellow front for re-liveried trains. However you need to do a risk assessment, which is always going to be more expensive in time and money than just getting a pot of yellow paint out.

And don't get me started on the minimum area stuff. No, really, don't.

What do I think?
I think black is bad. I think yellow isn't necessary. I think that those that are determined to remove the yellow front end from their livery are over-estimating how much people consider the colour of the front of a train (even subliminally) when deciding whether to use one or not. I don't care that much and get frustrated by those that do.

Don't get me on that!

Essentially it is the EU that has got rid of our yellow front ends. At this point I could break into a fearsome pro-Brexit rant, but yellow front ends were only introduced to improve visibility for non-steam trains. Now, with greater controls on track working, three front end lights, and specific requirements for their beam and intensity, it doesn't add anything to visibility at all.

Only new trains can get away without the yellow fronts. It is possible to lose the yellow front for re-liveried trains. However you need to do a risk assessment, which is always going to be more expensive in time and money than just getting a pot of yellow paint out.

And don't get me started on the minimum area stuff. No, really, don't.

What do I think?
I think black is bad. I think yellow isn't necessary. I think that those that are determined to remove the yellow front end from their livery are over-estimating how much people consider the colour of the front of a train (even subliminally) when deciding whether to use one or not. I don't care that much and get frustrated by those that do.

Our local state railways have just brought in anew colour scheme based on the Baden-Württemberg state flag. Here's the flag:

1280px-Flag_of_Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg.svg.png

Here's the interpretation on the trains:

2020_05_06_Kaiserstuhl_loop_plus_Gammertingen_Railways_01.JPG

Oh, the irony...

BrumJim

Our local state railways have just brought in anew colour scheme based on the Baden-Württemberg state flag. Here's the flag:

View attachment 662802

Here's the interpretation on the trains:

View attachment 662801

Oh, the irony...

Hmm. No irony, really. The EU didn't say "you can't have a yellow front end". They effectively said "No other countries in the EU have a requirement for a yellow front end, so clearly the consensus is that it does not make a material impact on safety. Any colour is fine."

For my next rant, I will chose detonators, once called fog signals. Guess which the only country in Europe is that still requires them to be carried in train cabs?

Hmm. No irony, really. The EU didn't say "you can't have a yellow front end". They effectively said "No other countries in the EU have a requirement for a yellow front end, so clearly the consensus is that it does not make a material impact on safety. Any colour is fine."

For my next rant, I will chose detonators, once called fog signals. Guess which the only country in Europe is that still requires them to be carried in train cabs?

The irony for me was that at exactly the point where Yellow Ends are beginning to disappear in the UK, largely for aesthetic reasons, Baden-Württemberg brings them in as part of its "cool new livery".

Now all they have to do is make the trains run on time...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The irony for me was that at exactly the point where Yellow Ends are beginning to disappear in the UK, largely for aesthetic reasons, Baden-Württemberg brings them in as part of its "cool new livery".

Now all they have to do is make the trains run on time...
Italy has a new Mussolini, so it'll happen* there.

*apparently there is some truth in the pound shop Hitler making the trains run on time, mainly done by giving the services really slack timings.

Top Bottom