The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Re the Class 68 their noise has caused problems with Trans Pennine abandoning overnight use of their new Scarborough depot, which surely defeats its puropose to a large extent
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...-battle-despite-it-providing-new-jobs-3362859

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've often wondered who makes detonators. They can't be cheap - low demand (they are virtually never used) and lots of expensive lead.

Company up near Sheffield. It looks like one of those Cash Cows. The factory makes lots of other stuff. Never been there, but in my imagination there is an old machine in a corner which bashes them out as needed by some old guy. Design never changes, and no one will ever compete with them. As long as they keep the price sensible, the work will never stop.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Company up near Sheffield. It looks like one of those Cash Cows. The factory makes lots of other stuff. Never been there, but in my imagination there is an old machine in a corner which bashes them out as needed by some old guy. Design never changes, and no one will ever compete with them. As long as they keep the price sensible, the work will never stop.
Recycling them must be fun, as I assume you have to set them off before you can recover the lead. I imagine a very deaf old guy with a lump hammer, an anvil and a pair of safety glasses.

Here's the SVR using up a lot of them st once:

View: https://youtu.be/cA-yytorvyw

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Recycling them must be fun, as I assume you have to set them off before you can recover the lead. I imagine a very deaf old guy with a lump hammer, an anvil and a pair of safety glasses.

Here's the SVR using up a lot of them st once:

View: https://youtu.be/cA-yytorvyw

I've never thought about recycling. An interesting thought. They really should replace the lead with something else, but it's just too difficult. I spoke (emailed, I think) to the person at the company, but he was reluctant to go through the paperwork needed for the change.
Shouldn't be so difficult to change. Just too bureaucratic and conservative.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
56081and 20048 awaiting to depart the 11.15 Kidderminster to Bridgenorth. Take these to Highley then back to Bewdley bale out for fish and chips next to the river.

IMG_20221002_111015.jpg

IMG_20221002_111106.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Finally, one in a good colour. Rail Blue looked boring back in the day, and it still does. Large Logo was a better version.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
...Perhaps there was a fear that too many might be a safety hazard.

I think I read somewhere that this was the reason that rail wasn't the chosen option.

Interestingly I spotted Queen's Messenger, one of the modern locos allocated to royal trains a few months ago in York station, although there didn't appear to be any Royal personages in the area at the time.

I think I read somewhere that this was the reason that rail wasn't the chosen option.

Interestingly I spotted Queen's Messenger, one of the modern locos allocated to royal trains a few months ago in York station, although there didn't appear to be any Royal personages in the area at the time.

The WIndsors don't always travel by rail so the locomotives get used for common purposes as well.

Top Bottom