The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
There was a Barrow-Nottm and return in the mid 1980s made up of a short rake of the most assorted coaches possible with a BG smack in the middle. Think it was 1008 from Barrow and 1640 from Nottm

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
De Panne, West Flandres.

IMG_20221025_093756.jpg

20221106_135731.jpg

Tram train, Karlsruhe main station, Germany.

Taken while changing trains last week, much to the bemusement of the locals who don't always realise the rest of us don't have a world-renowned tram-train system to transport us around, especially not one that runs from the centre of the city deep into an even more world famous area of outstanding natural beauty...

20221106_154122(0).jpg

Another opportunist pic getting off the train at my local station. Intercity/Eurocity trains locally are in the hands of these Cl. 101 electric locomotives and carriages from Swiss Federal Railways.

I always think of the Cl. 101 as a 'new' locomotive but they came into service in 1996-1998 and have been in service almost as long as the legendary Cl. 103 they replaced. Now I feel old.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
View attachment 667618

Tram train, Karlsruhe main station, Germany.

Taken while changing trains last week, much to the bemusement of the locals who don't always realise the rest of us don't have a world-renowned tram-train system to transport us around, especially not one that runs from the centre of the city deep into an even more world famous area of outstanding natural beauty...

View attachment 667627

Another opportunist pic getting off the train at my local station. Intercity/Eurocity trains locally are in the hands of these Cl. 101 electric locomotives and carriages from Swiss Federal Railways.

I always think of the Cl. 101 as a 'new' locomotive but they came into service in 1996-1998 and have been in service almost as long as the legendary Cl. 103 they replaced. Now I feel old.

The most striking thing for me is the complete absence of litter on the tracks. Over here bottles, cans, fag packets, food packaging is everywhere on railway lines sadly.

Q Do they have litter bins on stations in Germany? That is part of the problem, all removed IME to prevent a bomb being left in one.

Yes, usually divided into four sections (Plastic, glass, general waste, and paper).

The most striking thing for me is the complete absence of litter on the tracks. Over here bottles, cans, fag packets, food packaging is everywhere on railway lines sadly.

I remember when Middle Son went to the UK for the first time we had to stop him picking up litter.

One issue we do have is graffiti: when a van train passes it's half a kilometre of graffiti in varying stages of fading. Even "worse" if that's possible is that there are occasionally passenger trains covered in the stuff, including windows.

Apart from the sense of entitlement of someone doing this, and the safety aspect that they are often covering information panels, I'm amazed that so many people have the cash to pay for enough spray paint to cover the side of a 15-20m long railway vehicle.

Yes, usually divided into four sections (Plastic, glass, general waste, and paper).

I remember when Middle Son went to the UK for the first time we had to stop him picking up litter.

One issue we do have is graffiti: when a van train passes it's half a kilometre of graffiti in varying stages of fading. Even "worse" if that's possible is that there are occasionally passenger trains covered in the stuff, including windows.

Apart from the sense of entitlement of someone doing this, and the safety aspect that they are often covering information panels, I'm amazed that so many people have the cash to pay for enough spray paint to cover the side of a 15-20m long railway vehicle.

Some don't pay for thethei

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A couple of photos from the disse turntable at Brande, Denmark. Now turned into an events centre

20221112_122606.jpg

20221112_122336.jpg

Top Bottom