The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
On a ride through Norfolk yesterday I came across this at Sheringham (North Norfolk Railway)
20160704 Cromer ride (17).JPG

and this at East Dereham (Mid Norfolk Railway)
20160704 Cromer ride (3).JPG

Odd to think that they were new in 1957 and 1966 respectively, and only 9 years separates them.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
DB running British locomotives, apparently in Romania. Strange times we live in.
(but nice to see the CFR class 60 and 80 in the background)

No apparently about it, class 92s now work in Romania and Bulgaria, not to mention France of course.

The class 92's identity I cannot remember offhand right now, although 92032 springs to mind for some reason, but, other than the all over red fronts (albeit with a bit of white which alters the loco's 'facial' appearance somewhat, not to mention the lack of yellow on the front), the European number and it being renamed after a Romanian writer or Poet (I think), it still retains it's old Channel Tunnel 'Polo Mints' on the side as well as the Crewe Electric 'Eagle' depot crests, AND the old BR Cast double arrows.
It is a British class 92 allright, and it is still as loud as ever!:

View: https://youtu.be/3QiZeOMjmCk

Anyway, I wonder how Brexit will affect future exports.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Continuity Errors Of The Week!!

I happened to be watching 'The Saint' on itv4 before the TdF highlights.

Anyway, a character had to catch the 'Night Ferry', an old Anglo French 'boat train', accompanied by Roger Moore's character (the name of which eludes me right now)

So, for the 'Night Ferry', the first footage was, correctly of a class 71 Electric, supposedly departing Victoria..... It then turned into a class 52 'Western' diesel.... And then something else unidentifiable (it was dark). What made this last train notable however was that it appeared to be taking water for it's steam heat boiler from one of the old water troughs used for steam engines. I reckon it was a class 40 at the old 'Bushey Troughs' or similar on the West Coast.

So after what was clearly a somewhat diverted route, they finally got to the channel and we had a mix of both colour and black and white footage of the correct (I think) 'Wagon Lits' coaches being loaded/unloaded on/off the ferry, before the train then departed behind a French electric..... Which promptly turned into another electric.... Before, and here's the best bit, the train turned into a Swiss EMU (adding several hundred miles onto the trip for sure) before finally..... They climbed out of the train onto the tracks, supposedly somewhere in France, from..... A rake of British Rail blue and grey Mk2 coaches, probably somewhere in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Herts (I have given up trying to think how many hundred miles they must have travelled supposedly from London to northern France :giggle:).

Seriously, I was geographically confused, and so, it appears was the head of the continuity department!!

I doubt that most, if not all of the coach interiors were any better, and locos like the class 71 and the first French loco sounded strangely dieselish into the bargain!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom