The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember the sound more than the engines and trains, I lived in Shotton and trains out of the steel works often well loaded on way to Wrexham. And the line was reasonably steep at Shotton, so you would hear the wheels spinning and the engine trying once again to get up the bank.

Never hear that sound on heritage railways, to haul that load of passengers would be too risky, want to be sure it will go up the incline, no good reversing into a siding and waiting for a second engine to give an extra push, same going down the incline, often the wagons were not connected to the engine to work brakes, and the brakes would be applied manually on each wagon before going down the incline, not really acceptable with passengers.

Nothing boring about DMU photos. In fact seen from over here class 166s look quite exotic.

I second that; I've always liked the smooth looks of the class 166.

I recall the electric versions had a set of lumpy dumb buffers covering the override stoppers which undoubtedly helped in collisions but did nothing for the aesthetics.

Last edited:
I remember the sound more than the engines and trains, I lived in Shotton and trains out of the steel works often well loaded on way to Wrexham. And the line was reasonably steep at Shotton, so you would hear the wheels spinning and the engine trying once again to get up the bank.

Never hear that sound on heritage railways, to haul that load of passengers would be too risky, want to be sure it will go up the incline, no good reversing into a siding and waiting for a second engine to give an extra push, same going down the incline, often the wagons were not connected to the engine to work brakes, and the brakes would be applied manually on each wagon before going down the incline, not really acceptable with passengers.

I remember it occasionally on Golfa bank, at least once with the Austrian Sir Drefaldwyn on a damp morning. The loco could handle alpine passes but not, apparently, Welsh leaf fall.

For those who don't know, Golfa, on the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, is a short but vicious stretch of 1 in 29, with curves.

I've done the pinning down brakes thing on works trains. Once on the Llanfair End of Castle Caereinion we stopped to open the gates, and the diesel loco sat and spun, so they tried to set back, but the unbraked wagons pulled the loco down the hill. One or two of the staff were ready for this and leapt to drop the brake levers.

I and another minor had been sent to the station and told to STAY THERE under any and all circumstances. It was a good place to grow up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've never understood the concept of the buffet car: If you go and sit there you risk losing your seat, or do people just sit there the whole journey?
Bought this restaurant car or Messwagen a while ago but not knowing much about German railways was not sure how old it is. Being DB it's post unification but do you know if they may still be in use?
I had an idea it might be a 'works' coach.

16527092205044943124982043726813.jpg

German railways have a very diverse variety of locos which are very character full and interesting. I'll post some pics of a few I've picked up in my HO European thread.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never understood the concept of the buffet car: If you go and sit there you risk losing your seat, or do people just sit there the whole journey?
Oddly, given the general "dog eat dog" nature of British society, it was never a problem. Generally a few low-value possessions left on the seat were sufficient. Best to visit between stations, though.

Bought this restaurant car or Messwagen a while ago but not knowing much about German railways was not sure how old it is. Being DB it's post unification but do you know if they may still be in use?
I had an idea it might be a 'works' coach.

View attachment 644980

German railways have a very diverse variety of locos which are very character full and interesting. I'll post some pics of a few I've picked up in my HO European thread.

It's a measurement coach. As you say it has the post '94 DB symbol on it, but it looks decidedly elderly. Mind you, DB, like the old BR had some very old stock in their departmental service at times; replacement seems to have stepped up in recent years, probably as the old "standard" carriages are replaced.

DSC_6652.jpg

Been a great weekend, my bike to right of the engine to right likely the oldest on show and was running up and down short stretch of standard gauge, in the foreground one from the IOM here for the weekend.

Nice to see the standard gauge locos, I wonder for how much longer, what is the price of the match with such a large loco, i.e. how much does it cost to get up steam, unlike a diesel where to start it costs very little, even to move it 200 yards under it's own steam costs a fortune.

As a photographer I want to see the engine from the outside, going over a viaduct, over a bridge, etc, the view from the carriage is not that good, but it is the people who travel on the train who pay for it to run. And it seems this year we are down on people willing to pay to ride on the trains.

Two of the three posts with pictures I have posted in the last week, had to pay to look at them, the one with three locos was where anyone could get to, personally I pay for them with my time, I volunteer on the local railway. But railway I am connected with is 2' 6" gauge, so uses less fuel, however not at the seaside, so not so many tourists, and the line is steep, good for seeing smoke and steam but means four carriages is about the limit.

Before Colvid it was transport as well as tourist attraction, during Colvid it became tourist only, returning to base for a clean between each run, and all seats booked in advance, although carrying less, it was normally full, so not too bad, now however it seems people are finding the pinch, and not travelling to Mid Wales, and not paying £30 for a all day ticket on the train, I hope this is temporary, as not tourists means no trains.

Since this is a Cycle Chat, I will say there are problems with carrying a bike on the train, the design of the carriage means no need for a platform, although there is one either end of the run, and the traveller can stand outside where the train is running to take pictures, however it means a couple of steps then a right angle turn to get into the carriage, one is adapted for wheel chairs so more room, and there are wheel chair lifts either end, but the right angle turn means for some of the carriages the bike needs to be left outside, and that means other people can't use the viewing platform, I took a folding electric bike, and not easy to get on viewing platform, and impossible to get inside the carriage, first train of the day so carriage to myself, so not a problem, and since going to work on the railway not charged the £3.50 to carry the bike, same as dog, I am sure we could make a bike rack for last carriage, but not many bikes carried, and if the disabled access carriage is in use, then easy enough to get bike on the train.

As to carrying bikes on other narrow gauge trains trains don't know, I remember the ferry Fairborn to Barmouth use to carry bikes, not tried on train, and once work on the rail bridge is finished you can ride them across instead.

Top Bottom