The Relais Mondial system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
In France there is an alternative system for shipping goods of all sorts (my interest is bikes and components obviously) !
It is done by utilising trade deliveries between retail outlets rather than the post office . It is a cheap and reliable operation , just wondering if it could be set up in the UK . for example utilising a chainstore supply system .
I have just bought one of these and the price including delivery was €15. using the Relais system. When it arrives at the local store they will email me .

59b9995b0b558af5707332c0deeb3e36b085d30a.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot of retailers now use a 'delivery to store' process whereby they go to a local mini-supermarket. You then collect at your convenience. That seems a bit similar.

robgul

Legendary Member
John Lewis - order online and collect from the Waitrose shop the following day. Simple (and financially dangerous :ohmy: )

TESCO was doing the same warehouse/shop thing until they shuttered tesco.com

Whether the large retailers would entertain the idea for other (online) retailers is an interesting thought . . . have to say I can't envisage it coming about.

Rob

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
A lot of retailers now use a 'delivery to store' process whereby they go to a local mini-supermarket. You then collect at your convenience. That seems a bit similar.
It is similar except that the French system is open to anyone, so for example if l have some random object that l have sold on ebay l can use the relay system to get it delivered cheaply to the buyer in another region of France !

Reactions: C R

Globalti

Legendary Member
The French are usually ahead of us. I remember having a chip & pin card in France in 1986/7 and when I returned to the UK, going back to magnetic strip and signature.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Useful if you could say how much the delivery element was. Was the stem less than €11?
I am not sure at the moment because the price was inclusive of delivery, but l think the stem would be €10 . I will be able to be more accurate when l have collected it .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
This one is obviously not new but looks in nice condition and if it had been the size l was after l would have snapped it up, asking price €5.
a63208b648e77bbc4038a76f025ed74c126718f4.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's the same reason who some idiots in that London keep talking about this HS2 project - willy-waving and keeping up with the French with their TGV.

It is similar except that the French system is open to anyone, so for example if l have some random object that l have sold on ebay l can use the relay system to get it delivered cheaply to the buyer in another region of France !

And they don’t only deliver in FranceI have received a few, okay, more than a few, items this way, ^_^

It is cheap but not always quick. You drop d the package off at a participating shop, and as @woodbutcher explained the parcel gets transported in the “spare capacity” in delivery vans until it reaches the collection point. The shops are usually small independent grocers or newsagents although my local is a florist:rose:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
And they don’t only deliver in FranceI have received a few, okay, more than a few, items this way, ^_^

It is cheap but not always quick. You drop d the package off at a participating shop, and as @woodbutcher explained the parcel gets transported in the “spare capacity” in delivery vans until it reaches the collection point. The shops are usually small independent grocers or newsagents although my local is a florist:rose:
Thats true, it isn't the quickest system but it works and so far l haven't had anything go missing .....fingers crossed on that one. On the other hand l received a package the day before yesterday which had been posted in Poland on the 12th of December 2019 using the normal postal service. I could have gone on my bike to Poland and picked it up faster than that ^_^

Top Bottom