The Repair Shop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wormo

Guru
Not being skilled myself, I do enjoy watching skilled people at work.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Thought I'd look this up after reading here and was pleasantly surprised to see an S71-16/CE stapler as supplied by my company in the first few minutes ^_^ I'll keep watching I think.

postman

Legendary Member
Just watched three hours worth ,via On Demand.Two stories an old chap and a radio,i cried.His wife had died and this was a connection to the past.Then a bloke brings in a pair of wire cutters.
Story,his Grandad First World War.Goes over the top,gets shot caught up in barbed wire.Laying upside down and dawn is approaching.When the German snipers would use bodies as shooting target practise.He looks at a body next to him a German soldier with some wire cutters in his belt.Grandad takes cutters frees himself gets back.War ends he goes home and opens a hardware store .His son then takes over the shop and along comes Grandson later.This is the bloke who has brought the wire cutters in.What a brill story,as Grandson said had the cutters not been there his dad and him might not have been born.
I love this show.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Just watched three hours worth ,via On Demand.Two stories an old chap and a radio,i cried.His wife had died and this was a connection to the past.Then a bloke brings in a pair of wire cutters.
Story,his Grandad First World War.Goes over the top,gets shot caught up in barbed wire.Laying upside down and dawn is approaching.When the German snipers would use bodies as shooting target practise.He looks at a body next to him a German soldier with some wire cutters in his belt.Grandad takes cutters frees himself gets back.War ends he goes home and opens a hardware store .His son then takes over the shop and along comes Grandson later.This is the bloke who has brought the wire cutters in.What a brill story,as Grandson said had the cutters not been there his dad and him might not have been born.
I love this show.

This^. It's not just the skill and expertise of the repairers, fascinating as that is, that make the programme, it's the stories, emotion, sentiments and what they mean to the people who bring them in which are associated with lots of the items that add so much to to it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Great show, fantastic skills displayed from very humble craftsmen.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I enjoy it as well, it's great to see them diagnosing the problem then making replacement parts rather than throwing things away. Nowadays your garage won't diagnose your car, they will just keep fitting new parts at your expense in the hope of fixing the problem.

Yes I enjoy it as well, it's great to see them diagnosing the problem then making replacement parts rather than throwing things away. Nowadays your garage won't diagnose your car, they will just keep fitting new parts at your expense in the hope of fixing the problem.
very true, no-one wants to fix anything these days. the service industry is just built around, throw away and replace. a lot of it is labour cost i guess though, by the time it's fixed it probably would cost twice as much as repairing

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If anyone likes restoration of old tools, see "my mechanics" channel on youtube. There are no stories or talking, but the guy makes a fantastic job of restoring things.

robgul

Legendary Member
Great prog - we went to the Weald & Downland Museum where it's filmed a few weeks ago - they were there but the barn was fenced off although we did see Will, Dom and Jay (going for a coffee!) I appreciate that the "story" is very much part of it but they are getting a bit drawn out, shorten that bit for each one and add an extra item to each show would make it better.

Have to say I'm very much in the repairing not replacing corner ..... I've just put an ancient Townsend gas-pipe frame back on the road for someone who was going to dump it - took it apart and cleaned, rattle-can resprayed the handlebars, polished/buffed all the shiny bits and re-assembled with 4 new cables and a couple of tyres and the lady owner is delighted with it. Very satisfying.

Rob

Top Bottom