The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
God, to be retired. Very nearly phoned in and booked day off. Kept awake most of the night by my son tippety tappeting on his PC to get his assignment into college - didn't get to bed until 5am - our alarm goes off at 6am. Grrr.

Shattered - full day in work, then get home, make tea, and maybe squeeze an hour in on Zwift, then bed, and all starts again, until Friday - hoping to book it off for a spin round Llandegla before we have the CC MTB weekender, in 2 weeks.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Lovely here as well, but we haven't lost that biting cold wind yet, I'm wearing longs and could have done with gloves as well, but I'm seeing people in shorts as well .:cold:
My legs never see the light of day! Lol. Still wearing thermal tights today and gloves. Just a fraction short of 30 miles. Spot of lunch then a donder this afternoon.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning shopping done.
Gas BBQ sorted out and replaced the grey waste outlets on the caravan.
Car and caravan washed and polished.
Dog walked.
Mussels and creamy garlic sauce with crusty bread and half a bottle of ice cold Chablis for lunch.
Time for an executive power nap about now, I reckon. :smile:
Well deserved after all that!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Pond. They (goldfish) disappear into the weed over winter so you never know how many survive the cold months. The sunny weather has brought them out so I fed them for the first time on Saturday. It does take them a couple of minutes to realise there is something to eat. They are pretty slow at the moment, but some the summer, they will be waiting for feeding time.
Me to. My goldfish population seems to have doubled over winter.
My pond suffered badly from blanket weed until a neighbour gave me 2 grass carp........they hoovered it up in no time and its clear now apart from the waterfall which gets clogged with it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just done the same 10 miles** as yesterday. Still cold and windy but not as bad AND I wore my hat today which made things much better. Also wore fingerless gloves and Ron Hill running leggings.
**I know 10 miles isn't much to some but the most I generally do in summer is 60ish per week which is generally made up of a 40 & a 20. I sometimes throw a 50+ in but I prefer 30-40..... anything more becomes hard work :smile:.

D

Deleted member 1258

My legs never see the light of day! Lol. Still wearing thermal tights today and gloves. Just a fraction short of 30 miles. Spot of lunch then a donder this afternoon.

Well done. I got back a little while ago, 57 miles, a hard, slow, cold ride, having been and changed them for the next size up my new cycle shoes are now OK, I've just got to break them in. It was was disapointing that Granny Smiths was closed, it was a favourite cafe of mine, I'll have to explore the Tythe barn there at sometime, though it looks a bit posh, its always a problem on Mondays a lot of cafes are closed. In the end it was a good ride out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier on I took the new to me roadbike out for its first outing , 12.5 miles and the bottom bracket I regreased yesterday is buttery smooth.

aferris2

Guru
Me to. My goldfish population seems to have doubled over winter.
My pond suffered badly from blanket weed until a neighbour gave me 2 grass carp........they hoovered it up in no time and its clear now apart from the waterfall which gets clogged with it.
Blanket weed - Oh yes, we've got lots of that too! Not heard of grass carp, but I think they are going to be too big. The pond is only 6ft square.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Blanket weed - Oh yes, we've got lots of that too! Not heard of grass carp, but I think they are going to be too big. The pond is only 6ft square.

Grass Carp are like any other Carp. They can grow vey big, but will only grow as big as the pond can cope with. Even so, it would be a bit cruel to have Carp in such a small pond.. :okay:. Your better off with Goldfish.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Was hoping there might be a natural way of getting rid of the stuff. Been using something called Blanket Answer which seems to slow it down but never actually gets rid of it completely.

You can never really get rid of it to be honest, just keep it down is about the best you can do. Mr WD just fishes it out now and again. Our pond is about 40 feet wide and about 100 feet long.

Top Bottom