The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Get a Sociable!
You ride side by side, not one behind the other.
One behind the other is better.......:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Fellow retirees, when do you find time to go for a ride on your bike? Personally, I find it hard for:.
a) the weather has to be right, I.e no rain or high winds.
b) other things to do like d.I.y or to do with the kids and grand children.
c) dog walking.
d) still work 3 days a week during school time.
Hopefully, with the end of school coming soon, I will have more time on my hands and the weather will be more reliable.
By the way, just back from a 13 mile ride now and loved it.
How about you lot then?

I try and get in a couple of rides a week, 50 - 60 miles a ride if I can, if it's nice I'll try and ride a bit further, I'm riding about 4 -- 5000 miles a year, similar mileage to when I was working and commuting by bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
One behind the other is better.......:whistle:
Back to back, they faced each other...
Mic+Wic+1.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
My nights are full of passionate romance, there is no time for cycling.

Yeah, but being on your own doesn't really count :laugh:

Today's excitement has been dropping the recovery truck off at the garage, a very pleasant 3.5 mile walk from there to the P.O and back home again, then a trip to Liverpool to buy something else truly dreadful...

446XBdikVEX4nEfn1crJJtFuQQorJ0a0LfO2gZ_A3pVSQBhwnax_K3DniwgDLkfdP-0Stg33g&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Fellow retirees, when do you find time to go for a ride on your bike? Personally, I find it hard for:.
a) the weather has to be right, I.e no rain or high winds.
b) other things to do like d.I.y or to do with the kids and grand children.
c) dog walking.
d) still work 3 days a week during school time.
Hopefully, with the end of school coming soon, I will have more time on my hands and the weather will be more reliable.
By the way, just back from a 13 mile ride now and loved it.
How about you lot then?

a) - through my club we have official rides, weekends, Tuesday and Thursday (both training evenings). There is also a group of 10-12 retirees (and others who work shift patterns) who ride together through the week. Basically I have ride opportunities seven days a week. The retirees pick days when the weather is good and we do as we wish - it's basically Last of the Summer Wine on wheels. If the weather has been rubbish in the week I join a club ride at the weekend but this is becoming increasingly rare - we have a better dynamic in the retirees group.

b) I organise my life around my cycling. For example if I know I'm riding Monday and Wednesday then Tuesday will be housework day and Thursday DIY, allotment, garden or similar. The cycling isn't taking priority but everything else is generally moveable if my buddies say they are going out on a particular day

c) I don't have a dog but understand the issue. My one cycling friend with a dog takes him for an hour before the ride and then again in the evening. Quite often the retirees group delay starts, shorten rides etc. to allow people to attend to chores

d) give up work!!!!!!! :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Morning peeps. As forecast the weather is crap. Pouring with rain and windy. Looks like a day indoors for me. Boiler being serviced this morning and Mrs P having her hair cut and highlights attended to - that's blown the budget for this week! Awful night's sleep - been awake since 2.30am and it's been like that for the past week, though generally sleeping till 4ish and then napping for the next 3-4 hours.

The last week has been one of ups and downs. Saturday I decided to start riding again, the impact of not riding on my mental well-being was increasing daily. A senior neuro sister and my wife both agreed if I listen to my body I should get on with it and cycle. Cleaned bike Sunday and did 15 miles, out with the retirees Monday for 52 miles, avg 15.2 and very pleased with that. All good and really enjoyed the ride and company. It was the right decision.

On the down side a dear friend is in a very bad place, I'm very worried. Trying to do the correct thing and help is hard. Getting the balance right is hard. I've been here before with another friend and I can see a tough few weeks/months ahead. I'm pretty sure this is why I haven't been sleeping.

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Good morning, I won't go on about the weather here, it's not fair really. I was in the gym yesterday and spoke to the resident (2 evenings a week) osteopath about my shoulder, 25€ for 45 mins a few weeks ago in Chichester £44 for 10 mins did 5 sessions with chiropractor so I'm in with him next week at the gym, the osteopath .
Builders arriving today to do work on the roof terrace, that'll be interesting trying to converse, God knows what we'll end up with :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all. Looking out of the window at a grey damp soggy world. The dog will be walked first and then I have to attend the local Draculars at the hospital for some routine blood tests. I had a full MOT last year and although there were no adverse findings I am now on there radar.
Then, I am off with MrsP to buy a new lightweight suit for the wedding /holiday we are going to in Italy next month. Busy busy busy. The only time for a bike ride is to the hospital and back.

D

Deleted member 1258

Good morning from a very soggy Coventry, yoga this morning, carpet cleaner round dinner time, and an interesting repair to do this afternoon, my Good Ladies tri walker needs a new brake cable, something I've never done before, should be similar to changing a cable on a bike.

Top Bottom