The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Yesterday morning, I couldn't find my bank card anywhere so assumed I lost it. I checked my bank balance on line and nothing was out of the ordinary but to be safe, I reported it lost and ordered a new one which will take a few days to come. 10 minutes after I done that, Mrs G came down the stairs with a card in her hand and saying: "Is that your bank card? " It was. She found it laying on top of the bed. No idea how I missed that but must wait for the new one now.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
We've had our road resurface :smile:
That's is the only news I've got :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Me and the ever sexy Mrs D nipped over to Gasoline Juice for a coffee and hot dog. Returned to find my Mini had two new friends.

PXL_20240420_131237131.jpg

It's at the old Royal Ordnance works at Weedon Bec. Very interesting place, used to be a major site for producing artillery shells and explosives. Now some nice antique and record shops, and Gasoline Juice itself, which is a kind of cafe for car clubs and bikers to meet at. Very inexpensive coffee and hot dog, a pleasant bimble around afterwards.

Here's a question for my already-retired chums on thread. When does economic inactivity become retirement?

Thing is, working for yourself, there's no cake, balloons, curling sandwiches or faintly inappropriate gift to signify 'the moment' :laugh:

Same for me, no ‘moment’, just the process of handing in my notice and going. I’ve now been economically inactive for nearly 5 years, just living off savings and paying no tax. For me it becomes retirement in a few months when I start getting my work pension (and start paying tax again !).

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'd been off sick on the force medical officers advice for several months, so no whip round, carriage clock, or even a card. I saw a few of the lasses from my team when I returned my uniform and we had a teary hug, but that was it. I walked out the door sans warrant card, and never looked back.

When I left to go to Aussie all the guys bought me a silver tankard with "From all the staff in the Blacksmith Shop 19/8/1977"
When I left Aussie there was no one at the airport to see me off...........
When I left after my accident all I got was my redundancy notice, not even a hand shake or a kiss me arse.
I was just a number nothing more nothing less.

classic33

Leg End Member
Me and the ever sexy Mrs D nipped over to Gasoline Juice for a coffee and hot dog. Returned to find my Mini had two new friends.

View attachment 728227

It's at the old Royal Ordnance works at Weedon Bec. Very interesting place, used to be a major site for producing artillery shells and explosives. Now some nice antique and record shops, and Gasoline Juice itself, which is a kind of cafe for car clubs and bikers to meet at. Very inexpensive coffee and hot dog, a pleasant bimble around afterwards.
You can't leave them anywhere on their own.

Did you partake of the Hot Yoga?

classic33

Leg End Member
Screenman, sorry to read that. Hope it was quick and as painless as possible for her. Your pain will be with you for a while, don't let anyone tell you how you should be feeling.
I hope your pain eases in time. Remember the times you had together, the good and the not so good. And how you got through the not so good times.

Top Bottom