The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
30 minutes on the Peloton, dogs walked, coffee and homemade lemon and poppyseed biscuits.
Bike ride a bit later to the post office.

Well - I am seriously considering judging it to be summer!

After about 2 hours of faffing about and putting things off I finally went out for a ride at about 11
back about 1 ish

I was wearing only jeans, T-shirt and my normal hi-vis proper jacket with long sleeves
plus full gloves
rode the whole way with the jacket open and sleeves rolled up and gloves on but was seriously sweaty and hot on the way home
possibly due to a slight headwind (as ever)
also seem to have a little bit of sunburn on my arms

Had lunch in the garden in the sun as I put the garden furniture out yesterday

so looks very like summer is here!!!

actually quite pleased with myself because about 1/4 of the way round the ride I noticed that the ebike was in the lowest level of power assist
I have not been riding much over the winter and have upped it one so I get back into the habit - so doing the whole ride in the lowest setting (except "Off"!) is good

Anyway - major downside was deciding to sneak in a visit to the burger van on the way home
Damn thing wasn;t there!!!!!

had to come home and make myself a bacon butty to compensate!!

Been out for a little walk through the Heriot-Watt campus, some nice bluebell displays in their woods. Stopped off in the student union for tea and cake. Dull and overcast but a little warmer by the time we got back.

MrsFoE currently booking a trip to Arran for my June birthday, intending to take the train to Ardrossan and, fingers crossed, the ferry for a stay in Brodick. Scottish ferries are in a dire state and have been for some time hence the need for fingers crossed.

Been out for a little walk through the Heriot-Watt campus, some nice bluebell displays in their woods. Stopped off in the student union for tea and cake. Dull and overcast but a little warmer by the time we got back.

MrsFoE currently booking a trip to Arran for my June birthday, intending to take the train to Ardrossan and, fingers crossed, the ferry for a stay in Brodick. Scottish ferries are in a dire state and have been for some time hence the need for fingers crossed.

55381193-7A4F-4408-B12F-0AAD67872E00.jpeg

Mrs Tkk having a jog around Herriot-Watt in the distant mists of time. I was doing support but still managed to slope of to the students union bar for a pint 🍺

Just seen this
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/rescue-mission-launched-after-car-29124890

Interested as I grew up near there - as did @Dave7 I think

Anyway - this sort of things always remonds me of a friend I used to see a lot
He was very into scbua diving had a boat and everything
He used to go out with his club and left from a well known beach in the North East

Clearly a lot of the club members had 4 wheel drive vehicles for the load and space capacity as much as anything else
but they knew the beach and teh tides so were very careful abotu getting stuck

Luckily a local farmer used to come round on his big tractor when he knew there were likely to be people there
He charged a very reasonable amount to tow people out if they got stuck
well - very reasonable - first time
If you refused then he would stick around and offer again - at a less reasonable rate
and so on

Anyway - one day they were packing their boat stuff up and they someone drove past them - far too fast - ina brand new Range Rover and went to a "show off" type boat to pick people up
He was told to be quick as the tide was coming in but he told them for **** off

Naturally he knew best
and got stuck

naturally the club were not willing to
a) help
or
b) leave and miss the show

But the helpful farmer tootled down and offered to help

and was told to **** off

so he tootled back up the beach and sat watching - along with the dive club people

after a while the farmer goes back and offers again at his higher rate and was told the driver would only pay the original rate

so the farmer tootled back up teh beach

naturally the Range Rover was sitting on its axles by now and the driver was busy spraying wet sand over the general vicinity with the wheels

Apparently several other offers were made and rejected along with rants about rip offs and the like - to the sound of laughter from the dive club and several locals that had happened to arrive

eventually the final offer was accepted but by then the car was surrounded by soft sand and the only way to get it out was using a long rope

which the dive club happily supplied - for a price

and the car was rescued - but by that time the interior - and engine - was totally flooded and the owner was furious and threatening
legal action for unspecified offences
(one of the dive club members was a solicitor and offered his card - which didn;t help!)

Wish I had been there - my friend was there and his wife had come along as it was a nice day as had several other partners - whcih probably also didn;t help the poor "victim"

ANyway - end of story - sorry it went on a bit!

-

Waited in for our bathroom fitter to replace a faulty shower valve. He was due at 11:00 but turned up just before noon with the bizzare sounding reason that he'd been stuck in traffic because of an RTA caused by a Swan alighting on the carriageway. A likely story I thought, then he showed me the photo he'd taken which showed the Swan in the road and clouds of smoke from a burning vehicle!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just seen this
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/rescue-mission-launched-after-car-29124890

Interested as I grew up near there - as did @Dave7 I think

Anyway - this sort of things always remonds me of a friend I used to see a lot
He was very into scbua diving had a boat and everything
He used to go out with his club and left from a well known beach in the North East

Clearly a lot of the club members had 4 wheel drive vehicles for the load and space capacity as much as anything else
but they knew the beach and teh tides so were very careful abotu getting stuck

Luckily a local farmer used to come round on his big tractor when he knew there were likely to be people there
He charged a very reasonable amount to tow people out if they got stuck
well - very reasonable - first time
If you refused then he would stick around and offer again - at a less reasonable rate
and so on

Anyway - one day they were packing their boat stuff up and they someone drove past them - far too fast - ina brand new Range Rover and went to a "show off" type boat to pick people up
He was told to be quick as the tide was coming in but he told them for **** off

Naturally he knew best
and got stuck

naturally the club were not willing to
a) help
or
b) leave and miss the show

But the helpful farmer tootled down and offered to help

and was told to **** off

so he tootled back up the beach and sat watching - along with the dive club people

after a while the farmer goes back and offers again at his higher rate and was told the driver would only pay the original rate

so the farmer tootled back up teh beach

naturally the Range Rover was sitting on its axles by now and the driver was busy spraying wet sand over the general vicinity with the wheels

Apparently several other offers were made and rejected along with rants about rip offs and the like - to the sound of laughter from the dive club and several locals that had happened to arrive

eventually the final offer was accepted but by then the car was surrounded by soft sand and the only way to get it out was using a long rope

which the dive club happily supplied - for a price

and the car was rescued - but by that time the interior - and engine - was totally flooded and the owner was furious and threatening
legal action for unspecified offences
(one of the dive club members was a solicitor and offered his card - which didn;t help!)

Wish I had been there - my friend was there and his wife had come along as it was a nice day as had several other partners - whcih probably also didn;t help the poor "victim"

ANyway - end of story - sorry it went on a bit!

-

I have actually seen that happen. When the tide goes out it leaves sand banks that look safe but the incoming tide sweeps around the side and the back. Before you know it you are surrounded by sea water.
Happened to my family as a kid. There we were on deck chairs (don't recall if my dad had a knotted handkie on his head) when he suddenly realised we were cut off..... panic stations as we had to grab everything and run/paddle for it.

Top Bottom