The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Legendary Member
Location
Leicester
Good morning. Very wet overnight but clearing skies for the last hour. The Met Office radar shows we will get nothing unrtil scattered showers around 15.00. Just as well as we're heading out on a gravel ride. Temperature????? About the point when Paul can't decide between an autumn jersey and a summer jersey with armwarmers..............I don't like these days! Overshoes will be a necessity as I'm sure there will be mud which is a great opportunity to give my Ass Savers a proper work out. I've run them all year but only in dry conditions, a gravel bike gets remarkably dirty in the dry and these guards make a big difference.

There has been an incident, a porridge incident involving a microwave. I changed my technique, tomorrow I'll revert to the previous technique. The microwave is clean, very clean. Hopefully management will simply think "that's nice of Paul to clean it"..............alternatively the management probably won't notice.

I'm off. Sat here in my summer kit + armwarmers + leg warmers............off to the garage to check out temperatures and put lights etc on the bike. We're heading into Scouseland with a planned coffee stop on Lark Lane. The cognoscenti will appreciate the significance of this 👋

Your porridge reminded me of a college incident over 40 years ago….
Remember those sponges in a tin? Boil them for 40 minutes?
Best was always the treacle one. Mmmmm.

Don’t forget, & leave them for 2 hours….
Tin split beautifully along the seam and lid, exploding to the ceiling…..of a tall room….with pipes…..
That was a long evening of cleaning 🤣

IMG_0131.jpeg


Chilly here too….but warm and humid in a week: we head off on our crazy 10-week RTW blockbuster, starting with 5 days in Singapore before heading Down Under.
Family, friends & no doubt a bunch of strangers to see, along with some sights (never been before), then heading back via a scoot around Vancouver, just in time for Christmas 😜

DD asked us to put the decorations out before we went. I’ll meet her halfway: outside lights are strung up….& I may venture into the attic later to bring the tree and a few bits down 🎄
 

Tenkaykev

Guru
Location
Poole
Good morning from a soggy, grey Dorset. Mrs Tkk has headed up to her Pilates class and I will head out for a walk. Temperatures in the mid teens until Saturday when it's due to reach 20 degrees. I just noticed that the radiators are a bit warm ( 30 degrees ) so the heating must have come on. My experiment of leaving the heating switched on " low and slow " for a whole year has seen an annual heating / hot water consumption of 2,428kWh of electricity, with every room heated 24/7. Average room temperatures over the year was 21.2 degrees with a minimum of 19 degrees when we were away for a week or so over Christmas.
 

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Location
Hamtun
The rain has arranged is very welcome, my butt's were well down.

My butt, too, has been replenished 👍
 

Gunk

Guru
Location
Oxford
Just ran our heating for 20 mins and all works, our 40 year old Glow worm is still plodding away.

We budgeted to change it when we bought the house in 2003. The £2500 we set aside is still in a building society account.

IMG_2153.jpeg
 
Top Bottom