The right bike and the wrong bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Saw an example of both on my early morning ride this morning.

I trundled up alongside a man in his 60s on a new Specialized Crosstrail.

The fact I caught up with him tells you he wasn't going very quickly.

He told me he had a mountain bike which had done sterling service for years, but was too heavy and pointless because he now only rides paths and cinder tracks.

Looked to me as if the guy had bought just the right new bike - it looked well in red, too.

My next target was a man of similar age on a carbon roadie, with half-inch wide tyres and those outstretched tricross (?) bar extensions.

He was also making slow progress on the cycle path and the last I saw of him he was pushing the bike up a short incline which even I find easy.

I'm making assumptions here, but I'm struggling to think of a more inappropriate bike for that rider.

Any other examples of man and machine in less than perfect harmony?

Lee_M

Guru
I'm making assumptions here, but I'm struggling to think of a more inappropriate bike for that rider.

I suppose it depends what his aim is, hopefully he wants to do more - and is just starting out

The fear is of course that some muppet sold it to him as they got the most commission on that particular bike

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A heavier bike with the same gearing would probably be more inappropriate bike for cyclist number 2;)

I'm useless on hills and not at my fittest anyway so I just got myself a carbon bike with a 32 teeth ring on the cassette. Maybe he should have done the same.

I used to commute on a 40s rod-braked clunker...

And I once took my wife's Claud Butler shopper off-roading.

Very often, the wrong bike is the right bike.

With very few exceptions, if someone is riding it, it is the right bike - but may also be the wrong bike in a happy way.

I once saw a man wearing the wrong hat. My cat has the wrong name. Ketchup is the wrong sauce.

Carry on.

Top Bottom