The right man for the job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sorry earth but I am with Colin on this one, if you really feel the need that you must listen to music then use earphones. If you feel earphones are too dangerous then don't listen to music.

Playing music on your bike is no different to someone playing music with their windows open.

OP
OP
E

earth

A person wouldn't have to play music in a built up area. Just out on the open road. But even if someone did it could hardly be loud from a mobile MP3 player with speaker small enough to fit on the device.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you were playing the music so quietly that I could hardly hear it, and only for a few seconds as we passed, then I admit that it wouldn't bother me that much.

If you were riding in the same direction as me, at the same speed and playing loud tinny, distorted music like some people do on buses and trains with their phones then it would really annoy me.

It also depends on where it was. If it was a busy road with lots of traffic, then it would already be noisy so a bit of extra noise wouldn't make that much difference.

Some of the areas I ride in are so peaceful that I can hear dogs yapping or cockerels crowing from about 2 miles away so any noise in a place like that would be really intrusive and unwelcome.

I'm not trying to get at you. I used to listen to a lot of music when I was younger, but to be honest, I don't think I've had wanted to do it when cycling. Music transports me to somewhere else, but when I'm cycling I'm already where I want to be. If I was doing a really boring commute, then perhaps some music would be nice, but I reckon I'd just concentrate on riding harder.

Anyway, no point in arguing when we could be out riding - if you do get a system for your bike, please don't turn it up too loud! ;)

OP
OP
E

earth

I wasn't trying to be rude either when I said 'you must be the life of the party' but a sense of humor does not always come across in an email especially if it's from a relative stranger.

But I am a bit amazed at the off-hand dismissal of a fairly innocent idea.

I know what you mean about people of buses with their tinny phones playing pinky and perky vocals. But I also remember before mp3 players and phones, people made the same objections to walkmans with tinny earphones that leaked noise.

But again, I'm not suggesting using something on a bus where people are captured. Just a bit of music loud enough to hear (not very lound) while in the countryside.

On last Sundays ride, once I got out of town and discounting cars, I saw maybe 10 other people in the space of 3 hours.

Garz

Squat Member
People that usually blast music out of windows or in back gardens tend to be chavs or just plain rude. Same goes for the folk that drive with windows open usually dance cheese that think they are cool.

There are venues that this is acceptable like when I go to festivals or pub marquees for example. If people like this they stay and listen.

The current generation have no regard for other people, the last few years I noticed walking along with your phone on loudspeaker at full is the 'in thing'.

Whilst it may seem like party pooper attitude it shouldn't be regarded as acceptable to force other people to be exposed to your 'music'. Earphones were invented for a reason, the downside is you pay the price losing one of your senses to help with danger.

OP
OP
E

earth

I went out for a ride this evening for an hour and saw about 3 other cyclists coming in the opposite direction.

If had been playing music it would have been to none other than myself.

If other people had been about I would not need to listen to music. I would no doubt be conversing with them. But no, the only person to talk to was me! Normally I'm all up for intelligent conversation but recently I just keep talking about the same old work issues.

Jezston

Über Member
Get some headphones that are Open Backed.

That way you can hear music with decent sound quality, and not be blocking out traffic noise, unlike the style as shown to the left.

These are pretty good, they are clip on style so they won't interfere with a helmet:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...log_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

redddraggon

Blondie
You must be cycling pretty slowly if you can hear behind you, whenever I'm riding on my own the rush of the wind drowns out anything behind me, so I wouldn't be losing a sense by using 1 earphone in the left ear. Whether or not I have an earphone in I still have to look around as I can't tell just by hearing whether or not anything is behind me because of the wind. So the negative safety aspect of an earphone is BS even if you are riding slow because you should be looking around anyway.

I have some sony earphones that the right bud died so I cut it off and use just the left bud in my left ear with an ipod shuffle while riding.

Riding with a speaker on your bike is stupid for many reasons:

1. It's Chavtastic
2. takes up unnecessary bar space
3. looks stupid
4. music probably sound crap
5. you'll look like a w@nk3r (as this thread illustrates)

So it's upto you if you want to get a dodgy speaker, but it's just silly when there are far better solutions.

shrew

redddraggon said:
You must be cycling pretty slowly if you can hear behind you, whenever I'm riding on my own the rush of the wind drowns out anything behind me, so I wouldn't be losing a sense by using 1 earphone in the left ear. Whether or not I have an earphone in I still have to look around as I can't tell just by hearing whether or not anything is behind me because of the wind. So the negative safety aspect of an earphone is BS even if you are riding slow because you should be looking around anyway.

I have some sony earphones that the right bud died so I cut it off and use just the left bud in my left ear with an ipod shuffle while riding.

Riding with a speaker on your bike is stupid for many reasons:

1. It's Chavtastic
2. takes up unnecessary bar space
3. looks stupid
4. music probably sound crap
5. you'll look like a w@nk3r (as this thread illustrates)

So it's upto you if you want to get a dodgy speaker, but it's just silly when there are far better solutions.

LOL seriously Red?

point 1. looks chav-tastic? um, doubt anyone would actually notice an MP3 player.
2. bar space? they clip on clothes.
3. see point 1.
4. if you get a good one then , no, its decent but music for 1, other riders and passers by wouldnt hear it.
5. see point 3 and 1, also, most road cyclists wear lycra and your worried about what an MP3 player looks like?

in addition, there are some cycle helmets that have a compartment for an MP3 player and also have speakers build in.

redddraggon

Blondie
It's still a pointless stupid idea when an ipod shuffle and earphones will:

1. weigh less
2. take less volume
3. look less ghey.

Lycra is the appropriate dress for road cycling so it looks totally normal. Riding around looking like fella isn't though:

bike-system-1.jpg

Top Bottom