The right man for the job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I want an MP3 player with a loud enough speaker and enough batter power to play music while I ride. I don't use ear phone because I consider it dangerous but I want to listen to some tunes while I ride. Simple.

This is either the next feature for cycle computers or it needs to be suggested to none other than Sir Alan. He is the perfect man to bring this to us. An avid cyclist and entrepreneur with a background in electronics markets.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Tis annoying when the neds do it on the bus and train...sorry

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What you suggest has already been invented but I'm not going to encourage you to get such a device because I (and many more like me) don't want to listen to your tunes! If you must listen to music on the move, why not just put one earpiece in - one ear for the traffic and one for your music?

Get some ear phones, we don't want to hear your 80's classic's cd.

I don't think riding with earphones is dangerous, but as you do you could always consider audio bone headsets that sit in front of your ears.

You can certainly get them on motorbikes. A couple of dispatch riders we used to use had them. Bloody loud to drown out engine, wind and get through the helmet.

OP
OP
E

earth

I didn't say anything about listening to music on the bus, train or any other public transport or public place.

The requirement is listening to music while on training rides without having to wear earphones that drown out the sound of traffic. It also has to have a decent battery life so that excludes the average mobile phone.

mark barker

I saw a chap the other day riding with a pair of "DJ" style headphones over the top of his helmet. It did look a little odd, but I guess it could be a good idea. The ear pieces were away from his head so he could still hear traffic etc, but they were close enough so that everyone else didn't have to listen to his music.

ColinJ

earth said:
So tell everyone with a car stereo to turn it off
I hate people's car stereos too, for the same reason! Also, people who play their music too loud at home with their windows open, or who at this time of year have late night parties in their gardens and blast their neighbours.

My motto is - 'Do what you want, just don't do it to me without my permission!'

ColinJ

I've told you politely that I don't like having other people's music inflicted on me. Three CycleChat members have already said that they don't want it either. Millions of other people in this country are fed up with noise pollution, which is what being exposed to unwanted music is.

You cannot possibly be unaware of our feelings on the subject and there are two possible responses to that knowledge:
  1. Oh, sorry - I didn't realise that anybody would be offended by this idea. I respect people's right to peace and quiet. I wouldn't want to annoy anybody so I'll use an earpiece or I'll wait until I get home to listen to my music.
  2. I couldn't care less what you lot think, I'll do what I want!

One of those responses is unselfish and considerate...

OP
OP
E

earth

You're not really considering other people either. I would like to listen to some music while I ride while still having the ability to hear traffic around me.

I think a persons safety overrides your dislike of music anywhere but your own private space.

Not loud music, just enough to hear. As I would be traveling while listening you would have to be traveling at the same speed to hear it for any length of time.

If I review this thread you don't appear to have considered any view other than your own.

Top Bottom