The right to bear arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Nobody is telling you how you should feel.

There’s a thread elsewhere with the sad news that a long-standing CC member was killed in an RTC just a few weeks ago; four pages of condolences and not a gag in sight. It’s called respect and you should consider showing some.
Respect?
I think you need to come down off your high horse and lighten up a bit.

As I said upthread if it were my family or someone I knew and people on a forum made fun or light of it I wouldn’t care in the slightest.
If it was someone close why on earth would you be sharing it with total strangers anyway?

Like when people on Facebook announce the most intimate details of a family tradegy or illness they're going through, beggars belief.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
If it was someone close why on earth would you be sharing it with total strangers anyway?

Like when people on Facebook announce the most intimate details of a family tradegy or illness they're going through, beggars belief.
Er,I wouldn't?
We we discussing the scenario if it were reported in the news etc and then on a forum such as this.

Think you’ve nailed it on the head when you point out they were not taking sensible precautions. For me that engenders about as much sympathy as a for a cyclist who drops from a pavement in from of a vehicle, without looking. A prime candidate for a Darwin Award in my opinion.
People make mistakes; sometimes they lead to death and/or other bad sh1t. Just because some others could see the outcome better doesn't make the victim deserving of their fate, and deserving of ridicule.

Try and find some humanity; it's clear that many here have some.

icowden

Veteran
There’s a thread elsewhere with the sad news that a long-standing CC member was killed in an RTC just a few weeks ago; four pages of condolences and not a gag in sight. It’s called respect and you should consider showing some.

I think we are conflating different things. Condolences in respect of someone who is well known to many people are a little different to a discussion about a cyclist being killed by a bear. Yes, it's nasty but sometimes humour is a way of dealing with sadness. It doesn't have to be taken as being disrespectful and being maudlin is not necessarily a good thing.

I give you, as an example, John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman:-

He has ceased to be, bereft of life, he rests in peace, he has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed his last, and gone to meet the Great Head of Light Entertainment in the sky, and I guess that we’re all thinking how sad it is that a man of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away at the age of only forty-eight, before he’d achieved many of the things of which he was capable, and before he’d had enough fun.

Well, I feel that I should say, “Nonsense. Good riddance to him, the freeloading bastard! I hope he fries. ”

And the reason I think I should say this is, he would never forgive me if I didn’t, if I threw away this opportunity to shock you all on his behalf. Anything for him but mindless good taste. I could hear him whispering in my ear last night as I was writing this:

“Alright, Cleese, you’re very proud of being the first person to ever say ‘sh**’ on television. If this service is really for me, just for starters, I want you to be the first person ever at a British memorial service to say ‘f***’!

It's also worth pointing out that no one has joked about this poor lady and her fate. They have joked in general about the dangers of camping in nature.

Last edited:
I think we are conflating different things. Condolences in respect of someone who is well known to many people are a little different to a discussion about a cyclist being killed by a bear. Yes, it's nasty but sometimes humour is a way of dealing with sadness. It doesn't have to be taken as being disrespectful and being maudlin is not necessarily a good thing.

I give you, as an example, John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman:-
A couple of quick points.
John Cleese is a funny man. He is a professional. He was talking about his friend, colleague and collaborator.
A random stranger popping up and saying the same things may not go down so well.

Well known to many people. What about less well known to some people? What about very well known to one person? Where are the lines? Who draws them? Is it really so hard to err on the side of caution? Of respect? Of empathy?
And when called out is it really necessary to double down?

It doesn't have to be taken as respectful, but a little care with language would mean that disrespect never even entered the equation.

I don't believe for a second that the "humour" used on this thread is in any way an attempt to deal with sadness.

A question;
Is referring to the victim as a nominee for
a darwin award respectful?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
sometimes humour is a way of dealing with sadness.

The people on here lacking in basic respect are in no way using humour to deal with their sadness, e.g.
So just because it was a cyclist and this is a cycling forum I should feel some faux sadness?

Your John Cleese example relates to the death of a close friend, not a stranger. Context is everything.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
People make mistakes; sometimes they lead to death and/or other bad sh1t. Just because some others could see the outcome better doesn't make the victim deserving of their fate, and deserving of ridicule.

Try and find some humanity; it's clear that many here have some.
Although I don't think anyone is ridiculing the victim. Im sure every man jack of us would agree that it was a terrible event, and if we had a time machine with one journey left in the tank we'd pass up assassinating Hitler to save this lady.

But the situation itself has nevertheless proven to have drawn some comedic comment about the inadvisability of sleeping under canvas in bear country with your food in the tent, pogo sticking through a minefield, or using a loaded and cocked pistol as a butt scratcher. And why not?

Theres a big gulf between disrespecting a victim, and poking fun at a notional scenario, a gulf so wide that some cannot even comprehend its existence.

When I go I expect lots of insults and merry pith taking. You lot do it while im alive, so anything else would seem a bit insincere.

It's also worth pointing out that no one has joked about this poor lady and her fate. They have joked in general about the dangers of camping in nature.
OK: I read back over the pages, and there's only two posts I found disrespectful. These are heavily outweighed by those expressing sadness.
Plus some general jokes about camping, animals etc, that weren't aimed at the dead woman - they're all fine.

Suggest we leave the moralising for now, and try to avoid insulting the dead in future.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Although I don't think anyone is ridiculing the victim. Im sure every man jack of us would agree that it was a terrible event, and if we had a time machine with one journey left in the tank we'd pass up assassinating Hitler to save this lady.

But the situation itself has nevertheless proven to have drawn some comedic comment about the inadvisability of sleeping under canvas in bear country with your food in the tent, pogo sticking through a minefield, or using a loaded and cocked pistol as a butt scratcher. And why not?

Theres a big gulf between disrespecting a victim, and poking fun at a notional scenario, a gulf so wide that some cannot even comprehend its existence.

When I go I expect lots of insults and merry pith taking. You lot do it while im alive, so anything else would seem a bit insincere.
I hear that you've just joined your local naturist group and like nothing more than romping around the local copses annoying everyone else.

What do you call yourselves again? The Sh1ts Who Bare in the Woods, isn't it?

I'll keep the day job then, shall I? :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom