The rollercoaster of cycling popularity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

Über Member
I didn't claim it's a black and white situation, however it's noticeable that in German cities and regions, including quite hilly regions, there is a noticeable uptick in cycling where infrastructure was provided. A lot of this is indeed leisure cycling, but in places like Tübingen or Freiburg, load carrying bicycles are now a common form of transport, and many people use them instead of a car.
This is a major factor because the car lobby has spent three generations, very successfully doing what you describe: lobbying for more infrastructure at the expense of everything else; now the utter dominance of the motor vehicle in the UK is presented as "preference" or some sort of wild coincidence. Unfortunately this has not only forced people to "like" driving, it's also foisted this "decision" on everyone else by making cities less liveable, removing alternative options, and forcing society as a whole to bear the cost of motor transport.

I visited Munich a while ago to visit my son. This was a common sight (that's Odeonsplatz):
96F95023-2E19-46C2-ADF6-AE0AB5DE4236_1_105_c.jpeg


Flat bars, step through frames, baskets to put stuff in, hub gears, front dynamos. Notice the lack of much in the way of security. No bike racks, most of the bikes are standing on their own stands. And don't seem to be locked. The people cycling were in ordinary clothes, old, young, many clearly not athletes. Carrying shopping, children in a carrier. Day to day life. The major thoroughfares all had cycle paths, and pedestrians were expected to stay out of them - we got more than the occasional scowl until we got used to them.
 

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I think as I've mentioned previously on other threads I wish the cycling advocacy would be more proactive, louder. CUK whilst great are far too polite in my opinion. The other I guess big commercial magazine Cycling seems to think everyone has a road bike and dresses for the TdF daily, spends thousands on stuff and goes abroad for training.
 

scotsbikester

Über Member
I think as I've mentioned previously on other threads I wish the cycling advocacy would be more proactive, louder. CUK whilst great are far too polite in my opinion. The other I guess big commercial magazine Cycling seems to think everyone has a road bike and dresses for the TdF daily, spends thousands on stuff and goes abroad for training.

Yes indeed. I'm in my local cycling advocacy group, which does do good work interfacing with the local authorities on infrastructure.

But I agree. And I don't think it's just one magazine (I'm not familiar with Cycling). The whole view of "cyclists" in this country is the lyrca clad enthusiast hurtling along as part of a fitness activity. Because in truth that is often, or mainly, what you see. I daresay London might be different, and Cambridge appeared different when I used to visit.

I'm not against the cycling gear. I've got some nice tight fitting padded stuff. It's comfy. And drop bars are good - mainly in my case for comfortable hand positions rather than head down speed.

But any ordinary citizen who wants to buy a non-filthy simple fairly upright bike, that you can get around on without looking like Sir Brad, will have to search very hard. Sure, hub gear bikes are available. But you have to know that it's an option, and that they are available, just. Reasonably priced simple machines that don't need a lot of fiddling? Forget it. My first bike was actually a Shimano Nexus based thing. It's in the loft, and will emerge when the shed is built. For a long time I actually though derailleur bikes looked idiotic, with the long derailleur cage hanging down to pick up every bit of road dirt going.

The cyclists near me are very much in the lycra clad "enthusiasts" camp. There's even a local club, with matching jerseys, that some of our friends are in. My wife keeps saying I should join, to which I reply - "I cycle to get away from other people, not to spend more time with them".
 
Last edited:

Happy_Days

Senior Member
I guess big commercial magazine Cycling seems to think everyone has a road bike and dresses for the TdF daily, spends thousands on stuff and goes abroad for training.
Indeed, and it undoubtedly fuels the perception of cycling being expensive.

Recently, Cycling Plus magazine was upfront about it: they want to review affordable bikes, but in general, manufacturers only provide their high-spec models to journalists.

It’s unhelpful but understandable. People paying thousands on gear support the bike industry’s viability. However, it’s also short sighted because it hardly encourages newcomers into cycling—the industry’s customers of tomorrow.
 

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
I've tried working with the local advocacy group, joined a local cycling group, repaired bikes for the cost of parts and I don't think any of it made much difference.

Now I just try to be a living example of a person who doesn't use a car, and relies on walking, bike, bus and train.

I still struggle to believe the things people say to me:

Cycling is expensive (have you forgotten the 400 per month you spend on your PCP?)

Trains are ridiculously expensive. (They needn't be and compare to the annual cost of your hideous car.

Cycling is too dangerous. Really? Do you have anything to back that up?
 

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
I've tried working with the local advocacy group, joined a local cycling group, repaired bikes for the cost of parts and I don't think any of it made much difference.

Now I just try to be a living example of a person who doesn't use a car, and relies on walking, bike, bus and train.

I still struggle to believe the things people say to me:

Cycling is expensive (have you forgotten the 400 per month you spend on your PCP?)

People who spend £400 a month on PCP do so because they can afford it and they think it is worth the expense. £1000 for a quality bike would be a bargain to those of us who are or were cycling enthusiasts. It would be money down the drain to someone who had no interest in cycling and found it a chore.

We need to get over the fact that not everyone enjoys a hobby, sport or mode of transport that we do, however worthy we think it is.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
That, Joe my learned friend, is because people dont really think at all.

400 sovs a month with nothing to show at the end of it...

Or a one off grand outlay on a machine that could still be providing reliable service in 30 years time?

People pay the former for the most part bexause society has conditioned them into believing that is the only way to do it.
 

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
That, Joe my learned friend, is because people dont really think at all.

400 sovs a month with nothing to show at the end of it...

Or a one off grand outlay on a machine that could still be providing reliable service in 30 years time?

People pay the former for the most part bexause society has conditioned them into believing that is the only way to do it.

I could buy a set of skis that would still give reliable service in thirty years time but as I have no interest in skiing nor any intention of doing any why would I buy a pair?

If someone can afford to spend £400 a month on a car and they are happy doing so it is a choice, not an indicator of stupidity. Not something I would do myself, but I'm not telling other people how they should spend their money.
 

Gillstay

Veteran
Your not telling people how to spend their money, but neither is Drago, he is pointing out that people don't think about their actions enough and are conditioned to think poorly of cycles and low cost transport.
On the continent its not viewed this way to the same extant.

If people are happy to cycle to the shops in Davos with high range of terrain and weather then we should be doing similar.

I do wonder how much is American influence.
 

scotsbikester

Über Member
I'm not quite sure what the argument going on there is, it's invisible to me.

"Telling other people how to spend their money", or not is always an interesting one. Recently I bought a watch for a few hundred pounds. Not for status but because of its almost* unique feature. In trying to find out if there were any other watches with the same feature, I spent a bit too long on watch forums. Boy, those people are really into their watches!

There is a Swiss watch association (the COSC) which will certify individual watches. Not make and model, but the actual watch mechanism. If it passes the tests, you've got a certified chronometer. One of the limits is that it can gain 6 seconds a day. That's 180 seconds a month. I have a Lorus which cost me, IIRC, £20. It gains 2 seconds a month. So that is 90 times more accurate than a certified Swiss watch. I walked into a watch shop the other day. There was a Rolex in the window for £20,000. My Lorus is 1000 times cheaper. Mutliply those two numbers makes my Lorus 90,000 times "better value" than the Rolex. Does it?

Define "value".

Sometimes we just like nice things.

Define "nice".

*OK pedants, I know you shouldn't qualify "unique". There are two watches that have this feature. So that's "almost unique" in my book.
 
Last edited:

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
Your not telling people how to spend their money, but neither is Drago, he is pointing out that people don't think about their actions enough and are conditioned to think poorly of cycles and low cost transport.
On the continent its not viewed this way to the same extant.

If people are happy to cycle to the shops in Davos with high range of terrain and weather then we should be doing similar.

I do wonder how much is American influence.

People are not conditioned or influenced to think poorly of bicycles. Everyone has ridden one, a minority of us got hooked and the rest gave up when they were old enough to drive.

And telling a non-cyclist that he or she should be happy to cycle to the shops no matter what the terrain or the weather will illicit no more than a blank stare.
 

Punkawallah

Veteran
On this very forum there is a map of charity bike shop in the UK, many of which will offer reasonably priced bikes, that have been serviced, for everyday use. While most are decades old, they will still ‘perform the function’ for may more.
Perhaps those involved in cycling advocacy could spread the word of such a valuable resource?
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I could buy a set of skis that would still give reliable service in thirty years time but as I have no interest in skiing nor any intention of doing any why would I buy a pair?

Do what me old mucker?

A bicycle is a viable alternative to the car for transporting a person - and most cars out there have only a single occupant - to work, the shops, bookies, cafe, etc.

Skis are not, at least not this far sarf of the arctic circle they aren't.

So thats a very odd tangent to go off on to say the least. You might just as well have mentioned a chandelier or Singer sewing machine for all the relevance to the conversation skis possess.
 
Top Bottom