The Romped On Project, formerly known as Bracington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

Hello,

probably this will be one of the daftest projects ever but as a quirky bicycle nut I have a reputation to lose.
In my head there is a Brompton shaped thought: the Brompton for Racing or Bracington.

When it comes to road racing bicycles then I'm a steel frame square taper bottom bracket rim brakes classical rims hubs and spokes derailleur gear guy.
That's why the base of that bike will be either a C line or an A line equipped with a S-type stem or a P-type stem if I can find one - or perhaps a predecessor of the C line.
At the moment I'm unable to decide whether it will become a singlespeed bike or with a 4 speed derailleur.

Rumours said that the 2024 C line will get 12 speed which probably means the combination of a gear hub and the 4 speed derailleur from the P and T line.
Hopefully the 2024 models will be announced soon, in particular the C line. The 4 speed derailleur seems to need an other mount on the chainstay than the 2 speed derailleur of the current C line.
If the rumours become reality, then the new C line frame will be the most flexible but also the most expensive option. Here in Germany we have a scheme where the costs for a bicycle used to ride to work reduce the taxes you have to pay which makes the bicycle significantly cheaper for me.

If the 2024 C line will not have the 4 speed derailleur, then I'll search on the used market for older Brompton bikes.

Somehow or other: one day there will be a Bracington. I'm curious how it will be...

E.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd prefer a Racing Brompton - a Romped On.

Kell

Veteran
I’m all for people modding bikes for whatever reason they want, but I’m struggling to see what the end goal is.

Or at least struggling to see what you’re hoping to achieve that you couldn’t do with one of the many off-the-shelf Bromptons.

Can you expand a little?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
"Because I can" is a perfectly valid reason IMHO. Said he, working out sensible double chainring options for a 6 speed Brommie with an extra rear sprocket.
Although...the OP may want to hang fire. Apparently a 20" wheel Brommie is coming.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I mean if you wanted to go your own way, people have done (and will continue to do) things like this:

20180728_094959-jpg.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I mean if you wanted to go your own way, people have done (and will continue to do) things like this:

View attachment 710363

There’s a couple of things wrong with that.
1. Its horrible
2. It’s horrendous.

OP
OP
EckyH

EckyH

Can you expand a little?

"Because I can" is a perfectly valid reason IMHO.
That's one of the reasons, yes.

The setup of my actual Brompton (fenders, two speed 54-13/15, planned three speed 52-12/13/15, S type handlebar and stem, hub dynamo) is good for travel and the usual commute.

For racing I don't need neither fenders nor dynamo lighting but a more aerodynamic position and an other gear ratio. The aerodynamic position could be achieved with a stem for the P type handlebar and bar ends or with a stem for the S type handlebar, an upside down moustache bar with some rise and an additional quick release skewer to swivel the bar betwen riding position and folding position. The planned gear ratio is 55-11/12/14/17 or 11/12/13/16 or in case of the three speed variant: 55-11/12/15.
Some other tweaks will include lighter tires (foldable Conti Contat Urban, Tubolito tubes), other cranks like the Shimano 600 or the Campagnolo Chorus from my stock with the chain ring on the outer position - I just don't like the optics of a single chainring on the inner position. And yes, I know that I'll need a new bottom bracket for that.

And for the record: I can win a race only if I'm the sole participant. But then I want to be prepared as perfect as possible.

E.

Kell

Veteran
There’s a couple of things wrong with that.
1. Its horrible
2. It’s horrendous.

I think it's just one of several built by @chriscross over the years.

But I've not seen him on this site since before the pandemic.

It wasn't very quick when I passed him in the 2018 BWC.
On this lap at about 2:19, you can see him on the bike above on the left.

But also, if you drag the slider back a bit you can see where the lead group passed me. Anyone that thinks Bromptons are always slow, should give it a watch. I was doing 22mph (according to Strava) and averaged around 19mph for the entire thing. But the speed of the lead riders blew me away.

View: https://youtu.be/8NQoXhKo40c?si=1_gmQvNx2Ra9-S79&t=129

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think it's just one of several built by @chriscross over the years.

But I've not seen him on this site since before the pandemic.

It wasn't very quick when I passed him in the 2018 BWC.
On this lap at about 2:19, you can see him on the bike above on the left.

But also, if you drag the slider back a bit you can see where the lead group passed me. Anyone that thinks Bromptons are always slow, should give it a watch. I was doing 22mph (according to Strava) and averaged around 19mph for the entire thing. But the speed of the lead riders blew me away.

View: https://youtu.be/8NQoXhKo40c?si=1_gmQvNx2Ra9-S79&t=129

That looks fun, I’d love to have a go at that

Top Bottom