The school hols are here - positive n negatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, the school summer hols are upon us and hopefully a decent run of good weather...hoping for at least 3 days up here.

From a cycle commute, mostly positive...
The roads are phenomenally quieter so getting Straight to junctions/RABs
Less school mums on the school run driving like complete pillocks
Far fewer kids on bikes using the cycle paths and less dog walkers

Negatives?...
The Audi/BMW/WVM drivers able to get a good head of speed and pass you even faster/closer and get even angrier when they can't get past you to the open road ahead of you - me likes the latter.
Getting home from work to the wife running out he front door, on strike uttering "you better see to these kids, they're driving me round the freakin bend..." and a house that looks like toys-r-us has been bombed!

Overall to, a def positive.

Gary E

Veteran
Possitive - Kids are at home :smile:

Negative - Kids are at home :sad:

Gez73

Veteran
No lollipop ladies/men who seem to think cyclists don't count as traffic and can be jumped out in front of. I pass a really friendly one and one who appears to hate me.:B) They do great job imho but aren't always considerate to cyclists.

Sandra6

Veteran
From a commuting point of view it makes no difference as I rarely cycle in school time traffic anyway.
The local cycle path will be a lot busier if the weather stays good and as I'm unlikely to be going far by myself due to having children at home it will more than likely be me and them causing disruption to the regular cyclists on the route. Took us an hour to do one way of my usual 40 minute round trip yesterday!
From a work point of view it means the shop will be full of harassed looking dads trying to browse with whiney children in tow, and an increase in mothers allowing kids to play on the display bikes that they have no intention of buying.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Local private school closed for good,money problems ,less snobby mums in big cars,my lads are self sufficient so thy look after them selves so when we are at home no care issues,I will miss the local lolly pop man he's cool he always let's me go straight through on my bike,but to cars he is a pain in the hole,and will miss the yummy mummys as I pass two schools always have a eye for the lady's,and a wink of the eye And a smile makes my morning,wearing Lycra has to have its uses

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Problem is that, for the moment, if you go out cycling, then people who don't know you will think you are just in on the latest craze with Wiggo and the 'lympics round the corner and think you are just another wally when in fact, you are the real thing (a cyclist, not a wally).

This is why, if I am going to start a new sport, I deliberately wait until all the hub bub has died down....

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Problem is that, for the moment, if you go out cycling, then people who don't know you will think you are just in on the latest craze with Wiggo and the 'lympics round the corner and think you are just another wally when in fact, you are the real thing (a cyclist, not a wally).

This is why, if I am going to start a new sport, I deliberately wait until all the hub bub has died down....

Why would you care what anyone thinks? Let them get fatter while you get fitter. That's my take on things.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I agree, it is.... maybe it is just a snobbery I have, but I don't want to potentially be seen as being one of the noobs inspired by that big shiny Olympic thing on the telly! I am better than to be swayed by such things..... Says the man with Para tickets...:blush::laugh:

Top Bottom