The Ship Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveF

A couple more on the Thames today:

Peregrine....
IMG_8543.JPG

And Grande Argentina.... could do with a lick of paint!

IMG_8549.JPG

IMG_8547.JPG

SteveF

A few more on the Thames over the past couple of days:

IMG_8586.JPG IMG_8585.JPG IMG_8584.JPG IMG_8582.JPG IMG_8577.JPG IMG_8576.JPG IMG_8573.JPG IMG_8565.JPG

Bit of a thread resurrect, but I found these two great videos of the old MV Prins Albert on the Tube of You this evening and wanted to share. The first a bottom-to-top tour of the ship while on standby in Oostende harbour. Cool things to look out for; the #555 Higman stock car being unloaded from the Princesse Marie-Christine right at the end of the film and the names on the crew roster board. Second film is of a crossing between Oostende and Ramsgate, again with a nice tour of the ship, a lifeboat drill and chips being fried in the galley. Well, she IS a Belgian ship after all...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnlmLNyCwY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QORrr1gxI

Oh, and can any of the mods possibly move this into the Hobbies section by any chance?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Bit of a thread resurrect, but I found these two great videos of the old MV Prins Albert on the Tube of You this evening and wanted to share. The first a bottom-to-top tour of the ship while on standby in Oostende harbour. Cool things to look out for; the #555 Higman stock car being unloaded from the Princesse Marie-Christine right at the end of the film and the names on the crew roster board. Second film is of a crossing between Oostende and Ramsgate, again with a nice tour of the ship, a lifeboat drill and chips being fried in the galley. Well, she IS a Belgian ship after all...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnlmLNyCwY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QORrr1gxI

Oh, and can any of the mods possibly move this into the Hobbies section by any chance?

Reminds me of the Canberra I went on a few times to work in the late 1990s!

Also went on QE2 and a few others.

Reminds me of the Canberra I went on a few times to work in the late 1990s!

Also went on QE2 and a few others.

The bigger liners / cruise ships aren't really my thing, but still, that must've been a good experience working on "famous" ships.

I'm purely a cross channel ferry kind of girl girl. My uncle worked on the Belgian car ferries, starting with the Artevelde in the 1960s, and retiring when RMT / Oostende Lines folded at the tail end of the 90s.

Jameshow

Veteran
IMG-20230920-WA0010.jpeg

Canal trip with OP group.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have some history with ships, although sadly no pictures. In 1992 I left university as a graduate in chemistry and got a job developing engine oils for ships (and other large diesels like trains, power generators and such). Over the 10 years or so that I worked in this area I visited various ships, from relatively small coastal fishing and cargo ships to large container ships. A visit to the engine room was always a good day, even though it was not an especially pleasant place to spend the day - warm, smelly and under pressure to get finished and get out so the ship could sail.

One of the roles I had was to run field trials of development oil candidates in ships' engines. I had to find a suitable ship, go to its engine room, inspect the engine's cylinders and pistons by endoscope and have one or more pistons pulled out for me to analyse and rate, before being reassembled so the ship could leave. Often I had only a handful of hours, meaning I was handling a still-hot piston and the chief engineer was standing over me waiting to get it back in his engine for departure. I mainly worked on 4-stroke engines but did get to see some of the ultimate engines - the enormous 2-strokes. I still recall the first time I walked along one of the decks in the engine room past 4 turbochargers, each one larger than me. It makes you feel all Honey-I-Shrank-The-Kids when you see pistons, valves, con-rods, turbos etc at such a colossal scale.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Being probably the only Mod who views this Thread, Yes I can – and have so done ! :laugh:

For future reference, the best way to contact the Mods with a message/ request like this is through the Contact Us link at the bottom centre-right of each page. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom