The Ship Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Doesn't need to do all that when it's main air-to-air weapon is a Mach 4+ BVR missile and close in work is done with a Mach 3+ all aspect missile. Why turn to face an opponent when you can pop off an ASRAAM and it'll go in any direction?

F35 isn't an air superiority fighter, that's Typhoon's job - something it's very good at.

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is, the Typhoon isn't a carrier aircraft. The F35 is limited as a strike aircraft due to payload restrictions when launched with a ski ramp, and, as you say, its not an air superiority fighter so isn't the best for point - or in this case - fleet defense either. Its been chosen on the basis of being V/STOL, and this simply being able to get into the air at all without a cat, with everything else very secondary to that.

Conversely, a Nimitz or a Ford class can launch a Hornet with both full fuel and full weapons load, and they can buddy-refuel, so they have excellent a strike and air to mud capability. They have a different version of the same airframe for point defence. But to be fair they also have a much bigger budget.

The Typhoon is supposed to be a superb air superiority machine, better than the F-22 if one overlooks its relative RCS.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Hornets work because there's a critical mass. In any strike package a number would be "Growlers", tasked with suppressing enemy radar and SAM sites. Some would also be CAP, protecting the strike package from interdiction. The theory is F35 doesn't need separate suppression assets as it's LO allows it to get through defences so you don't need as many.

Don't get me wrong, a Gerald Ford class is awesome, but it comes with costs, strategic limitations and manpower commitments that we just can't afford.

Watching Camilla naming Prince of Wales yesterday
IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

SteveF

A grey day...

IMG_8535 - Copy.JPG

jongooligan

Legendary Member
As an 8 year old I remember the Alacrity being launched. We were let out of school to march up to Lock Hill in Goole. I lived there for 20+ years but this was the only ship I watched going down the slip.

ALACRITY1966ACAH.jpg

She suffered a fire and an explosion in Monrovia in 1989 and was broken up there.

Top Bottom