The Space Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
How big a lens?

500mm F4 that I bought for sports, so a bit of a beast. From memory this was taken at f8 or f9, 1/1000, ISO1000. The body was a Nikon D850.

I was only buggering about so didn’t even bother with a tripod, but I did nip out a few minutes early to set the shutter speed and exposure manually using the moon as a reference. At the ISS’s zenith I was staggering about trying to hold a few kilos of lens steady right over my head with limited success, but the faster shutter speed saved me.

classic33

Leg End Member
500mm F4 that I bought for sports, so a bit of a beast. From memory this was taken at f8 or f9, 1/1000, ISO1000. The body was a Nikon D850.

I was only buggering about so didn’t even bother with a tripod, but I did nip out a few minutes early to set the shutter speed and exposure manually using the moon as a reference. At the ISS’s zenith I was staggering about trying to hold a few kilos of lens steady right over my head with limited success, but the faster shutter speed saved me.
Makes what you got picture wise better still.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hellva thing today for the 3rd Starship test.

The booster was great up to 2nd stage separation, but failed to refire properly after BECO and augered in.

The spacecraft itself went into space. It was easily at an orbital velocity so they could have kept it up there (or goosed it onwards to the Moon...it had 70 tonnes of fuel left aboard so that was feasible) but at a very high inclination, in effect an elliptical orbit so extreme that perigee was below ground level.

The fuel transfer test and cargo bay door tests went well. They didn't relight the raptor engine as planned and they lost contact well into re-entry. It's presumed the craft broke up well into the atmosphere, but theyre not certain of anyhting yet.

By any measure of experimental rocket flight it was a success. With each test SpaceX are making significant progress, and I'm sure it won't be long at all before this approach makes a laughing stock of SLS in terms of both cost and time, not to mention capability. That said, SLS is a giant job creation scheme, so from a political perspectfive it fills a useful function.

Musk might be an utter nob, but there's no denying the incredible achievements of the SpaceX engineers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom