The squeak goes on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gf1959

How can this be,that's just about the entire drivetrain renewed on the roadbike,including the bottom bracket,and still the intermittent squeak continues.
Always the same place,when the right pedal is beginning its downstroke.
When i applied outward pressure against the pedal,the squeak would stop or change pitch,so you the b/bracket must be the cause surely?
Well to my dismay apparently not. To state the obvious a squeak must mean friction,what else is there that can be causing that at the same point each time?
It's definitely not my feet rubbing the pedal,and the pedals themselves are new,i've run out of ideas.
It's only my hack bike,but it still drives me mad;all squeaks are inherently offensive.
Thoughts anyone?
Geoff

Grasen

How can this be,that's just about the entire drivetrain renewed on the roadbike,including the bottom bracket,and still the intermittent squeak continues.
Always the same place,when the right pedal is beginning its downstroke.
When i applied outward pressure against the pedal,the squeak would stop or change pitch,so you the b/bracket must be the cause surely?
Well to my dismay apparently not. To state the obvious a squeak must mean friction,what else is there that can be causing that at the same point each time?
It's definitely not my feet rubbing the pedal,and the pedals themselves are new,i've run out of ideas.
It's only my hack bike,but it still drives me mad;all squeaks are inherently offensive.
Thoughts anyone?
Geoff

could be your shoe or if you use clip pedals then it could be your cleat.

I had a noise a while back that I couldn't find. In the end found out it was my summer mitts that were making the noise. They had plastic bubbles on the palms that moved on the bar when I road (even though I though I had a good grip on the bar).

So the noise can come from anywhere.

knonist

could be your shoe or if you use clip pedals then it could be your cleat.

I had a noise a while back that I couldn't find. In the end found out it was my summer mitts that were making the noise. They had plastic bubbles on the palms that moved on the bar when I road (even though I though I had a good grip on the bar).

So the noise can come from anywhere.

I have a similar issue, i can only hear the squeak when I'm clipped onto the padle.
I was worrying where the noise might come from.

Fattman

Have had similar pedal-synchronised squeaks twice before, solution was surprisingly different...

One turned out to be shot bearings in the (bottom-of-the-range) spd pedals. New pedals, no squeak (and a lovely smooth ride - hadn't noticed how yucky it was).

The other was much more mysterious; turned out that (very lightly) greasing the interface between all the surfaces at the front hub/skewer/dropouts fixed it. Basically it was a coincidence that the pedal stroke was synched with a problem (probably) directly caused by the lateral weight transfer - and I could have sworn it was coming from my BB! There was enough dry movement in there somewhere to cause a squeak.

Posted elsewhere, I have found this page to be invaluable.

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Have had similar pedal-synchronised squeaks twice before, solution was surprisingly different...

One turned out to be shot bearings in the (bottom-of-the-range) spd pedals. New pedals, no squeak (and a lovely smooth ride - hadn't noticed how yucky it was).

The other was much more mysterious; turned out that (very lightly) greasing the interface between all the surfaces at the front hub/skewer/dropouts fixed it. Basically it was a coincidence that the pedal stroke was synched with a problem (probably) directly caused by the lateral weight transfer - and I could have sworn it was coming from my BB! There was enough dry movement in there somewhere to cause a squeak.

Posted elsewhere, I have found this page to be invaluable.

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Thanks all,especially for the page link. Both pedals and both wheels have been changed in the last year,just the same intermittent squeak like before.
The only thing i've noticed glancing down briefly,is the that the chain doesn't run a completely true path,there is some discernible sideways deflection.
Only a small amount but maybe that's the place to look. Is something bent i wonder?

jimbut

Are you satisfied your cleats don`t need replacing ? Few years back had a regular rotational squeak. Took a long time to get to the bottom of. Culprit was my 2-3 yr old cleats needed replaced !

jimbut

Just as an addendum to my comments re cleats. When it was suggested to me that my prob may be caused by cleats needing replaced, I tested the possibility by putting a few dabs of grease on my pedals at the cleat contact points. My next ride out was squeak free as opposed to the intermittent but very annoying .... blah blah .... you get the picture ? So I replaced my cleats ... Voila, silence is golden as a wise man once said... or was it The Tremeloes ???

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Just as an addendum to my comments re cleats. When it was suggested to me that my prob may be caused by cleats needing replaced, I tested the possibility by putting a few dabs of grease on my pedals at the cleat contact points. My next ride out was squeak free as opposed to the intermittent but very annoying .... blah blah .... you get the picture ? So I replaced my cleats ... Voila, silence is golden as a wise man once said... or was it The Tremeloes ???

OP
OP
G

gf1959

The Tremeloes i think,they were probably wise men too. I use toestraps,not cleats,nice idea tho. I can't make it squeak when i'm off the bike,this thing
doesn't want me to find it. I'll keep looking........

zacklaws

Guru
Are you 100% sure its not your shoes, mine squeak like hell once they have been wet and dried out untill they soften up again, and it took me ages to find out it was my shoes and not the bike. They would also only do it in a certain place on the pedals, and not neccessarily both of them.

Nowadays I give them a good coat of shoe polish, especially the tongue and it no longer happens

epicurus.

I had something like this, drove me mad, eventually eliminated after adjusting cones on rear wheel hubs. Worth a try.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

I upgraded both wheels a while ago,and even bought new shoes,no difference. If i ever use the indoor trainer sometimes the squeak is several times worse,with
the wheel locked in place it emphasises the problem. Haven't considered the jockey wheels yet come to think of it.
Thanks guys

leveret

I had a similar problem very recently. Annoying as hell creaking from the right hand crank as I was on the downstroke. It got worse the harder I pushed. Turned out one of my chainring bolts was a bit loose. Torqued them all up and problem solved. Worth a try :biggrin:

davidg

i had a squeask like that and it turned out to be the rear mec and its attachment. took ages to find. just removed, and fixed it on a bit better with some of that lock tight stuff

Top Bottom