The squeak goes on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The slight bend in your chain is normal, it has to cross from one chainring to one sprocket, which aren't always in line.

Has your rear hub got a rubber cone on the LH outside? Remove it and grease both ends lightly.

Cover the shoe and pedal, strap etc with talc and see if the squeak stops.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Yes i'm thinking it must be in the crank,if i put equal outward pressure on both pedals it stops. I made wholesale changes last year,or rather my mobile bike guy did,
and that included new chain and sprockets,except for the big front ring. Still had the squeak to my dismay,but the rear mech wasn't changed so need to look into
that. The rear wheel was changed too.
Thanks for the chain info,i thought perhaps some sideways movement was normal.
Just one afterthought if i haven't said before,if i ever use the turbo-trainer(which i hate)sometimes the squeak is worse than ever.
So with the rear wheel locked in place that can effect it. Have to find the cause,god it drives me mad. My mobile guy is coming to look again next week,even he has
had enough of it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My latest squeak/creak when pedalling turned out to be the BB, took it out and there was a bit of rust around the threads. Cleaned it up and put it back in, bit of grease. That was after taking the cranks off twice (cleaned, greased, reassembled), cleaning up and greasing all the chainring bolts, pedals off- same sort of thing, wheels substituted, different skewers, seatpost out and greased. At least the bike got a deep clean as a result and my seatpost isn't going to get stuck anytime soon.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

My latest squeak/creak when pedalling turned out to be the BB, took it out and there was a bit of rust around the threads. Cleaned it up and put it back in, bit of grease. That was after taking the cranks off twice (cleaned, greased, reassembled), cleaning up and greasing all the chainring bolts, pedals off- same sort of thing, wheels substituted, different skewers, seatpost out and greased. At least the bike got a deep clean as a result and my seatpost isn't going to get stuck anytime soon.

The BB's just been renewed,but the squeak still seems to emanate from there,but definitely that area anyway.
Of course one's investigations can only be conducted whilst pedalling and trying to put your head as close to the
crank as possible,this tends to make watching where you're going something of a problem.
It squeaks when i stand up so i guess the seatpost is innocent. By hook or by crook,i'll find it....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The BB's just been renewed,but the squeak still seems to emanate from there,but definitely that area anyway.
Of course one's investigations can only be conducted whilst pedalling and trying to put your head as close to the
crank as possible,this tends to make watching where you're going something of a problem.
It squeaks when i stand up so i guess the seatpost is innocent. By hook or by crook,i'll find it....

Good luck its amazingly difficult to track down noises sometimes.

I was convinced a click was coming from the pedals so stripped and greased them.

Convinced then the headset was causing it so had that done then finally it unexpectedly stopped , after I fitted new innertubes.

The new ones dont have a thread or nut on the valve stem so i can only conclude that the valve stems or nuts were clicking against the rim.

The silence is all the more wonderfull after 6 months 0of clicking.:thumbsup:

I do get a slight squeak when I wear some cheap mountainbike shoes i have, with the roadbike shoes nothing.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Good luck its amazingly difficult to track down noises sometimes.

I was convinced a click was coming from the pedals so stripped and greased them.

Convinced then the headset was causing it so had that done then finally it unexpectedly stopped , after I fitted new innertubes.

The new ones dont have a thread or nut on the valve stem so i can only conclude that the valve stems or nuts were clicking against the rim.

The silence is all the more wonderfull after 6 months 0of clicking.:thumbsup:

I do get a slight squeak when I wear some cheap mountainbike shoes i have, with the roadbike shoes nothing.

Drives you mad doesn't it? Might have to call in Columbo...

knonist

Just as an addendum to my comments re cleats. When it was suggested to me that my prob may be caused by cleats needing replaced, I tested the possibility by putting a few dabs of grease on my pedals at the cleat contact points. My next ride out was squeak free as opposed to the intermittent but very annoying .... blah blah .... you get the picture ? So I replaced my cleats ... Voila, silence is golden as a wise man once said... or was it The Tremeloes ???

but for my case, the cleats (SPD) are only 3 weeks old

waxbytes

One other thing to check is your saddle where the rails meet the shell and where the seatpost clamp grabs the rails. Sometime the saddle will squeak but only when you are in a specific position and balance on it. Like at a certain point in your pedal stroke.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Well well,that quick test ride indicates i've finally solved the riddle of the squeak! Aplogies to all those that directed me to check out the pedals,but i couldn't see they were the cause. It's only my hack bike,and i have toestraps on it,and not the cleats that could have been the culprit,and the pedals themselves spin smoothly.
After looking for the hundreth time i noticed this morning the buckles on the t/straps were very rusty,especially on the left side.
Eventually after fiddling around with said buckle i made it squeak,i also noticed that there were scuff marks on the crank because i'd fitted the t/strap facing in instead of out,so clearly the edge of the buckle must catch the crank arm now and then.
So out with the oil for the buckle,turn the t/strap around,and hey presto silent running.
Looks like i fitted a new BB for nothing,what a chump.

colin w

Regular
i know its been 2 years since this subject started but only in last 3 days i have noticed the very same noise it feels like the left pedal or crank [just replaced new pedals and clicking noise still there it only does this when i get to near the top position of pedal stroke [on left side] tried tighening both cranks and they seem fine and really tight its driving me nuts dosent sound or feel like bottom bracket any help would be much appreciated....colin.

screenman

Legendary Member
SADDLE RAILS, I shouted because the message is sometimes hard to get across. In 50 years of cycling these parts have been the most often cause of noises in mine and friends bikes, no not always I know but very often.

colin w

Regular
SADDLE RAILS, I shouted because the message is sometimes hard to get across. In 50 years of cycling these parts have been the most often cause of noises in mine and friends bikes, no not always I know but very often.
hi thanks i wish it was that mate but this noise is coming from left crank on top position i can feel it through my foot ,gonna get into bottom bracket with bb remover tool but now need a crank extractor lol ah well gonna be cheeper than bike mechanic ,hopefully it is the BB and just need a good dollop of new grease....col

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I had a squeak as I pushed hard with my left pedal last night. turned out it was the wheel flexing and rubbing on the brake block on every stroke. I adjusted the tiny allen/allan key to re-centre the calliper and all was well.

also had a squeak on my old bikes pedals. I swapped the pedal and still had the squeak, turned out it was my shoes.

squeaks and rattles are infuriating, I need my bike to be stealthily quiet to help me feel smooth and in control, so I feel your pain.

hope you find it.

*edit* I also had a big click/squeak when I returned to the bike after a 10 week absence, the pedals needed to come off and have the threads greased before replacing. They must have kinda dried out.

colin w

Regular
If the BB is making a noise it needs a new one, no amount of grease is going to help long term.
hi im not 100% if its the BB but wont do any harm to take it out mate if it is i know grease wont help and will replace with new BB but it is possible it could be dry and grease will help if the bearings are ok...col

Top Bottom