The switch from Cleats to Platform Pedals (DMR V8 versus Quill ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
After 40 years riding with cleats and pre cleat variants I’m wondering if its time to go to platform pedals.
2 accidents in the last year involving not unclipping the correct foot (stupid i know) and a recent near miss that would have seen me in the canal are making me wonder.
My concern is regarding shoes.
I like narrow cycling shoes, but they all seem to be hard soled and would slide around on a Platform or Quill pedal.
Any ideas about who makes a normal narrow cycling shoe with a conformable sole that would grip flat pedals ??
Could those who ride without cleats also give some guidance as to whether the DMR type or Quill with a toe clip is the easiest to get on with.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
https://dromarti.com/

I've not tried these, but they remind me very much of the cycling shoes I first wore.

Have a look at the touring shoes. They might cost a "little" more than ones from aldi/lidl, but they really look nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Mountain bike shoe?
Hi vickster, the problem with MTB shoes is that they all seem to be high volume trainer / SK8 types not “cycling shoes” .
I have a pair of the FLR shoes that have a mountain bike cleat but the sole is so hard it would just skate off a platform pedal.
The Dromarti flat sole shoes would be ideal but not for me at £240 ...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi vickster, the problem with MTB shoes is that they all seem to be high volume trainer / SK8 types not “cycling shoes” .
I have a pair of the FLR shoes that have a mountain bike cleat but the sole is so hard it would just skate off a platform pedal.
The Dromarti flat sole shoes would be ideal but not for me at £240 ...
Did you see my link?
worth at least ordering to see what are like. If they take PayPal, can get free returns

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You old duffer !! :whistle:
Fall off number 2 .... :laugh: Grandson doing the selfie..... Rotherham Hospital.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fall off number 2 .... :laugh: Grandson doing the selfie..... Rotherham Hospital.

View attachment 628319

Oops. Any 'injuries'...

I had two lie downs at Gizburn Forest before Christmas (52 here). Clipless made no difference. Mud on Hully Gully plonked me head and shoulder first on the gravel after some 'air' I was told, then very slippy roots got me again and I walloped my knee - now that was painful, and took about 10 minutes running with the bike to get rid of the pain - couldn't pedal.

Only 36 years with clipless here (including a few strapped) - wen't clipless over 30 years ago, and wouldn't ditch them.

Thought about SPD multi release cleats ?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Oops. Any 'injuries'...

I had two lie downs at Gizburn Forest before Christmas (52 here). Clipless made no difference. Mud on Hully Gully plonked me head and shoulder first on the gravel after some 'air' I was told, then very slippy roots got me again and I walloped my knee - now that was painful, and took about 10 minutes running with the bike to get rid of the pain - couldn't pedal.

Only 36 years with clipless here (including a few strapped) - wen't clipless over 30 years ago, and wouldn't ditch them.

Thought about SPD multi release cleats ?
Torn muscles across the shoulder blades, bumped head, not unconscious, but a dog walker called an ambulance....fell to my right, on a path with a drop to the right so i fell over 45 degrees ... all i had to do was unclip the right hand foot .... i unclipped the left !!!! Doh !!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Torn muscles across the shoulder blades, bumped head, not unconscious, but a dog walker called an ambulance....fell to my right, on a path with a drop to the right so i fell over 45 degrees ... all i had to do was unclip the right hand foot .... i unclipped the left !!!! Doh !!

You need some MTB pratice for learning to fall and start laughing. We call it a 'little lie down' these days. Non serious silly falls.

Top Bottom