The TdF riders prepare for the mountains - but so do the GIMPS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Not quite as good, but still a tasty example:

https://vine.co/v/MdLugXQtg2Y
Bloke in the red shirt is a meanie though, eh? Gimp may be a bit over-enthusiastic but Red-shirt's a rotter!

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
As predicted my Panda suit was not ready so I had to compromise :thumbsup:
View attachment 49724 View attachment 49725
Although the subject conforms to the type 2 stereotype ie fit young narcissistic male in thong , there is no evidence of interferring with competitors and the onlookers all suitably amused so I would classify this one as a quirky addition to the party (but I wouldn't let him near my kids)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As far as most of us are concerned, dressing up as Panda, Snow White or a Lion is fine and all part of the fun and atmosphere.

Its those nobbers who run alongside the riders that annoys everyone. The more of them who get tripped up the better it is. A Tripping Up campaign should be started.

Steve

RedRider

Pulling through
I caught the stage two racing near the summit of Holme Moss and reviewing the 'speedburst' photos from the day spotted a moment of retribution for an exuberant spectator.

Blel Kadri was leading the race with Voeckler 50 metres down the road when a monkey enters the picture.
P1010165.JPG

He's about to get a spanking. Check out the AG2R motorcyclist sharking into his slipstream...
P1010166.JPG

Don't mess with AG2R....
P1010168.JPG
P1010169.JPG

...or you might get...
P1010170.JPG

...disappeared...
P1010171.JPG

Attachments

• P1010167.JPG
    P1010167.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
As far as most of us are concerned, dressing up as Panda, Snow White or a Lion is fine and all part of the fun and atmosphere.

Its those nobbers who run alongside the riders that annoys everyone. The more of them who get tripped up the better it is. A Tripping Up campaign should be started.

Steve
I can well appreciate the sentiment but one must tread a fine line. We cannot condone violence but we all must think carefully how to protect the sport we love. In the UK in the "old days" we cyclists were special, there was an almost "golden era" of behaviour of tough but gentlemanly athletes (scousers excepted) that even elite Rugby Clubs could envy but that's all changed. We always got world class one offs every few years but now we have the resources (lottery funding) to make a production line. With that popularisation comes new problems ie we have bequeathed the TdF a new problem - the Dozy C*nt taking a "selfie" only to be mown down by the peloton therafter. You cannot police a multitude, the dominant value system must prevail. If we classify these deviants with commonly agreed derogative labels dependinding on the severity of offence we (in our thousands) can give them immediate feedback on our response to their immature actions without provoking a violent response. If next time the Muppet stuffs some flag up a riders nose a thousand people spontaneously cry "I say there you genetically challenged MUPPET you, please desist from annoying and distracting that world class athlete who is on the rivet and clearly hanging on by a thread otherwise we will hold our ground and " They Will Not Pass." For if you charge into me it will be an assault and I will be entitled to defend myself if assaulted. (God Bless Lord Dennie)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
Bloke in the red shiis ct is a meanie though, eh? Gimp may be a bit over-enthusiastic but Red-shirt's a rotter!
Sorry Ganymede I would have to disagree with you there, the subject is clearly a Type 1 Muppet still in his teens there is every chance that if his deviant behaviour is dealt with robustly before he develops into a Type 2 (Plonker in a Thong) then he might be saved. I reognise the motivation of " Tough Love" behind RedShirts timely interception. More like a concerned father figure giving the young prodigal a fatherly pointer in the right direction, heaven forbid that he could develop into the full blown GIMP in a Monkey suit on maturity.

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
I caught the stage two racing near the summit of Holme Moss and reviewing the 'speedburst' photos from the day spotted a moment of retribution for an exuberant spectator.

Blel Kadri was leading the race with Voeckler 50 metres down the road when a monkey enters the picture.
View attachment 49980
He's about to get a spanking. Check out the AG2R motorcyclist sharking into his slipstream...
View attachment 49979

Don't mess with AG2R....
View attachment 49982 View attachment 49983
...or you might get... View attachment 49984

...disappeared... View attachment 49978

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
Well spotted Redrider I think I know who the motorcyclist was/is it has to be PETER GABRIEL (Shock the Monkey) Funny though, I knew Mick Jagger was a cycling fan - photos of him at Mexico City urging Moser on but never knew Gabriel was on side (if only he could get Kate Bush in a skin suit I'd come out of retirement)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Rob,

I think we can condone violence over stupidity.

Have you noticed how all these attention seekers give Cavendish a wide berth. He certainly would punch them.

Steve

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

View attachment 49980
View attachment 49979

Don't mess with AG2R....
View attachment 49982 View attachment 49983
...or you might get... View attachment 49984

...disappeared... View attachment 49978

Just been watching this incident over again while showing the kids their faces on TV and their names they painted on the road.

The monkey was given quite a push and it is all caught on film to remind him of what a muppet he is :laugh:

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
Rob,

I think we can condone violence over stupidity.

Have you noticed how all these attention seekers give Cavendish a wide berth. He certainly would punch them.
Steve
Steve - Apologies for tardy response been on hols and updates on tablet rather shaky. Interesting that you cite potential robust response from Cav in this context but I have to disagree. I think he is treading a careful line since he angered fans little while back with suspect sprinting (having urine chucked at him certainly reminded him how vulnerable top cyclists can be). Glad to see he apologised very promptly after latest disaster - heartfelt no doubt but still a good career move. The riders often do lash out at the MUPPETS in extremis but I don't think we can count on that ever being sufficient to control them. Personally I would like to see them arrested, held naked in solitary confinement and starved with only their passport to cover their modesty and provide sustenance - and would not allow them out until they had eaten it but fantasy apart I am convincinced that only a gradual process of villification will start to control the problem. I don't believe the softly softly campaign will be enough.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The film did not of course deal with the opposite end of the scale where we have "acceptable exhibitionism" as this could send out a mixed message. ie think of the marvelous old boy who dressed up as the devil for years or the cowboy racing his horse alongside the peloton, safely in the field of course . Generally this sort bring joy to all but do not interfere with the race. No encouragement needed for this, wonderful extroverts will always find a way.
I'm sure I heard a few years ago that they try to avoid showing this chap as he had starting getting sponsored for his antics.
A well placed foot often serves just as well :

The gentleman backed down pretty quickly when the other guys girlfriend/wife/partner stepped up, at least he had the sense to know when he was beaten.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Plus he might have sensed the policeman coming towards him. I know the french police have no love for the runners and are not adverse to dishing out a bit of a "physical warning".....

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
Plus he might have sensed the policeman coming towards him. I know the french police have no love for the runners and are not adverse to dishing out a bit of a "physical warning".....
+Thanks for that I never saw that bit before, I watched it 3 times. Notice that the MUPPET had a wing man - he was obviously prepared for a ROBUST RESPONSE from the true cycling fans. Lucky the plucky little fellow had a fierce wife. Moral of the story is that bona fide MUPPET DECKERS need a contingency plan too (unlike Brailsford)

Top Bottom