The tennis ball method

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Someone told me a method to tension a chain I'd never heard of before. Just push a tennis ball between the seat-tube and the tyre, tighten the wheel nuts, remove the tennis ball, and ride.

Has anyone on here tried it? Does it give a suitable level of tension?

Next time I'm near a sports shop, I'm going to buy a tennis ball and try it.

Seems a bit OTT for setting chain tension and it would depend on frame geometry and wheel spacing.

I just stick to setting one side and then the other, setting tension to just tight enough to ensure the chain won't come off.

jim55

Guru
i gen just adjust/tighten the non drive side with the chain tension and the tyre basically touching the frame tube on that side (id say the chains about 90 % at this point )and then push the wheel so it sits central and this tightens the chain right up,and horse the axle nuts up 100%

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Chains a bit tight

Id say this is a no no. You'll wear your running gear out quicker having a constant tight chain

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Chains a bit tight

Id say this is a no no. You'll wear your running gear out quicker having a constant tight chain

I'd guess the tension you get depends how much you have to squash the tennis ball, and how much you have to squash the tennis ball depends how big the gap is between your seat-tube and tyre.

simon.r

Person
I've not heard that one, but it makes sense. I keep meaning to bodge up a softwood wedge that I can insert between the tyre and the seat-tube, that'd do a similar job.

Top Bottom