The Terry Racquet Clamp.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Last week I saw an auld manny hurling his bike but he also had a walking stick with him. I pondered where he was going to put the walking stick whilst riding his bike. We went in separate directions, so I didn't see his solution. However, it minded me of back in the day when the sports equipment maker Terry produced a clamp which bolted onto the front fork of a bike into which a tennis racquet, a hockey stick, or at a pinch an upside down cricket bat could be stowed, thus making for safe carriage when going to and from school. Obviously Terry came up with the thing confident of a good market, although pobably only posh kids or very keen ones could afford their own racquets etc.. Does this imply however, that a lot more youngsters biked to school in the fifties & sixties - ? :whistle:
Oh and yes, you can still get them in various conditions on E-Bay - ! ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

in the days before clipless I fell of a ladder and broke my heel, when I was feeling better and getting bored I started riding my bike again, I used to strap a crutch to the top tube of my bike with a pair of toeclip straps and off I'd go.

D

Deleted member 1258

Last week I saw an auld manny hurling his bike but he also had a walking stick with him. I pondered where he was going to put the walking stick whilst riding his bike. We went in separate directions, so I didn't see his solution. However, it minded me of back in the day when the sports equipment maker Terry produced a clamp which bolted onto the front fork of a bike into which a tennis racquet, a hockey stick, or at a pinch an upside down cricket bat could be stowed, thus making for safe carriage when going to and from school. Obviously Terry came up with the thing confident of a good market, although pobably only posh kids or very keen ones could afford their own racquets etc.. Does this imply however, that a lot more youngsters biked to school in the fifties & sixties - ? :whistle:
Oh and yes, you can still get them in various conditions on E-Bay - ! ^_^

Yes, I was in school in the late 1950's-early 1960's and yes a lot of us kids cycled to school, I rode 10 miles a day to and from school till they put on a bus from where I lived.

I used to have one of those clips for a tennis racket when I was a kid

recently I have seen people with sticks, and stuff tie to crossbars - the most common thing I have seen is a fishing rod heading for the canal

Sharky

Guru
Does this imply however, that a lot more youngsters biked to school in the fifties & sixties - ? :whistle:
I was at primary school in the 50's and secondary in the 60's. I was always envious of those that rode into school on a bike. Alas we lived only 10 mins away (walking) and could never justify leaving my nice (Hercules, then Hill Special) bike in the bike shelters.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
https://www.renehersecycles.com/spare-wheel-carriers-for-cyclocross/
I imagine these wheel-carrier brackets must still be available somewhere.
Certainly a practical solution to my wheel transport problems in the past.
Obviously capable of adaptation for all manner of clobber from racquets to wickets.

I had one of those racquet clips attached to the luggage rack of my motorbike. Every Wednesday afternoon I rode over to the local sports centre to play a quick game of squash, after which I would bolt out to Brands Hatch, about 20 minutes away, to watch the last couple of hours of their open practice motorcycle session.
Sometimes some big names would be there: occasionally Barry Sheene and/or Steve Parrish with their Suzuki GB bikes. Quite often Barry Ditchburn and Mick Grant with their Kawasakis, as they were based at Boyers of Bromley.

Drago

Legendary Member
in the days before clipless I fell of a ladder and broke my heel, when I was feeling better and getting bored I started riding my bike again, I used to strap a crutch to the top tube of my bike with a pair of toeclip straps and off I'd go.
I strap my crutch to the top tube too. Otherwise it dangles in the chain.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
That lovely photo minds me of a variety act back in the day when entertainment was much better quality ( don't go there - ! :laugh: ) and consisted of cycle tricks :bicycle:and also riding round in ever smaller bikes, the last of which was about 15cm. high - ! ^_^

Top Bottom