The theory of big

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ssb_2018_09_07_02.jpg

I'm sceptical, our local trams are 3.7m high, 2.6m wide, and 38m long, so pretty darn big. They are, as you can see, bright yellow and have headlights, indicators and rear lights, and being rail vehicles they tend to follow the same route every time they pass. All crossings are protected with lights

And yet drivers manage to crash into these in Stuttgart with annoying regularity.

If drivers can't avoid something like this, I don't think wearing neon orange is going to help much, and I'll stick to the shared use paths around here as they are direct and keep my stress levels down.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 497927

I'm sceptical, our local trams are 3.7m high, 2.6m wide, and 38m long, so pretty darn big. They are, as you can see, bright yellow and have headlights, indicators and rear lights, and being rail vehicles they tend to follow the same route every time they pass. All crossings are protected with lights

And yet drivers manage to crash into these in Stuttgart with annoying regularity.

If drivers can't avoid something like this, I don't think wearing neon orange is going to help much, and I'll stick to the shared use paths around here as they are direct and keep my stress levels down.
Seem to manage similar in Manchester, where the trams are also yellow.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 497927

There's seeing something and paying attention to something. You can see something but not pay attention to it. Most accidents are down yo the latter. Visibility of even the smallest object is rarely the issue.

boydj

Legendary Member
Ah but his theory of big is about being noticed not about your size necessarily. It's about a driver's perception and reaction to you during the full period they could potentially cause you harm.

This is the essence of the article. It is to force drivers to register your presence and even cause a bit of uncertainty in their minds about your actions so that they give you plenty room.

I came across this article many years ago when I first started commuting by bike and it did influence the way I cycled in traffic, to my benefit, I believe.

rikki

Legendary Member
View attachment 497927

And here, it's always reported as "a train/tram crashed into a car/truck". The things on fixed rails following strict safety rules are the ones reported as being the problem :wacko:

Top Bottom