FNRttC The Tour 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's a choice between a day off or no day off.
No day off is a cheaper trip, but a shorter trip and there's no day off, we'd have one night in Maastricht and press on thus crossing on the Saturday night.
We could have a day off earlier, in Leuven, but it's nowhere near as nice as Maaastricht.
Fridays Central could easily be moved from the town cente out to nearer the cheaper hotels.
Thoughts?
Don't change anything about the route now. Blame Thatcher for making Maastricht a pilgrimage point for Brits with too much money and pushing up prices.

And if there's a cluster of people staying out of town in the same sort of location, have Fridays Central in the town centre but get them to convoy in together or else pick them up en route depending on direction.

I used booking.com for all our bookings, their major USP being the cancellation policies of so many member properties.

As much as I love the concept of Vrienden op de feits, I am finding in my encroaching old age that I prefer the privacy of hotels over the communal styles of B&Bs and hostels. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OK.
@StuAff - suggest a hotel? Others can then book it and a convoy there and back would happen. Also some sort of evening thing.
I am booked in here. Not that big (14 rooms total...) but a few rooms left on our dates at the moment. Nice easy route to Maastricht too..In the event I'm on my tod in there it won't exactly be an arduous ride. And there's a short train ride as an alternative.

I am booked in here. Not that big (14 rooms total...) but a few rooms left on our dates at the moment. Nice easy route to Maastricht too..In the event I'm on my tod in there it won't exactly be an arduous ride. And there's a short train ride as an alternative.
That looks quite good. I like small hotels. Frills not necessary.

ETA: Booking.com has a couple rooms still available in this hotel (Hotel Le Bonheur, Eijsden, Netherlands if you need to search on the name). If a few more of us nabbed the last remaining ones, that would be ace! I've just booked a standard double for us there (EUR125 for the 2 nights) and will take a decision shortly whether to cancel the central hotel I'd already booked.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That looks quite good. I like small hotels. Frills not necessary.

ETA: Booking.com has a couple rooms still available in this hotel (Hotel Le Bonheur, Eijsden, Netherlands if you need to search on the name). If a few more of us nabbed the last remaining ones, that would be ace! I've just booked a standard double for us there (EUR125 for the 2 nights) and will take a decision shortly whether to cancel the central hotel I'd already booked.
Single room price was cheaper on Hotels.com so I booked it on there...

Single room price was cheaper on Hotels.com so I booked it on there...
Yes, that appears to be the case across the board, but Booking.com quotes the price for the double room as EUR125 (currently approx. GBP106), while Hotels.com says GBP100 (without mention of price in Euros). Knowing we'll be paying in local currency at the time, there is in fact no difference.

One thing that we'll have to check out is breakfast. They only serve continental, which is no good for us keto-types. So I'll be researching local cafes, or we'll go into Maastricht early enough to find something there before meeting at Fridays Central.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Highly likely that Fridays Central in Maastricht will be the Grote Markt.
On the south side there is a burger place that served a simply delicious hand made meal with a superb glass of red wine. Burger Fabriek is the name I think.

(Admittedly it had been a cold wet day on the recce and we were glad to get out of the wind and sit down, so I'd have been quite happy if they'd served me scabby horse.)

StuartG

slower but further
But cyclists don't age @velovoice . Mmmmartin's research project proved it. Its just our bikes get a little slower, the downhills level out and the hills really appreciate a gentler attack.

Oh come on - the Tour is more about communal bushes than bathrooms ...

Top Bottom