The Transcontinental Race 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
hi fellow cyclists!

as some of you are aware i'm going to start my longest ride/race ever starting on the 3rd of august 8am from westminster bridge (come @7:30 to say hi!:hello:) and finishing in istanbul rumelihisari fortress, turkey. the route will take me through france, belgium, switzerland, italy, austria, slovenia, croatia, serbia, bulgaria and turkey (about 3260km total). this a self-sufficient and unsupported race, so we (~40 riders) will be carrying all our stuff with us, arrange accomodation (or a hedge/ditch...), food etc.
there will be two checkpoints at geraardbergen belgium and at the top of the stelvio pass (2757m/9045ft) in the alps. race cut-off time - 14days.
you will be able to follow our progress via www.transcontinentalrace.com
or by downloading an app on your smartphone from http://app.bluedot.mobi/
also via facebook and twitter
the bike is almost set up (duct tape ftw!), legs are as ready as they'll ever be, last few days were fairly hectic, but having a day off on friday to have some rest before a big start.
the whole thing looks daunting, but i'll give it my best shot!

NicciT

This trip sounds incredible - good luck!!

frank9755

Cyclist
It looks fantastic: proper audax; none of this messing around with frivolous luxuries like sleep stops. Are you allowed to take/buy food or must you set traps and find it all in bushes (only joking!)

How many km is your route?

Serbia should be interesting but I think you've gone for the shorter but hillier option! Having cycled down there I'd have been tempted to go straight through Albania and into Greece (as they had on the map on the site), as it is mostly pretty flat with good roads - but don't let me upset your preparation. I've not cycled in Serbia and that may be great, too (and flatish if you are not in the South).

Good luck: can't wait to hear about it!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have a wonderful adventure ride :wacko: and do your best to enjoy it ... :unsure:

We'll follow with interest :bicycle: and be willing you on. :wahhey:

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
hi Frank, yes i believe there is a flatter option, but my current route through balkans is still less than 1km ascent per 100km (uk audax standard), so shouldn't be too bad, and some climbing will be easier on my bum:smile:. the total distance is 3355km as plotted, depends if i get lost a lot or not (i'm taking two gps'es just in case).
i'll be "socially" inactive those two weeks, but you should receive updates from the organisers and have a general idea from the tracking website.
thanks for your support guys & gals!!

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Sėkmės Rimas. Jūs galite tai padaryti.

The above is assuming Google translate hasn't put me in the poo!!

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
haha, that's pretty close Mark! thanks Stuart!

checking the weather forecast i might alter the route where there's more water available..

Top Bottom