The truth hurts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
7'10" became the standard internal width from the 70's onwards, but that's dropped down towards 7' again, probably because developers claim people don't use their garages for cars any more. Of course, they then create a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I suspect your garage door salesman stumbled across the real reason.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our house was built in the Sixties, and the smaller of the two garages - which is the older one - might have been fine for an A35, but no use for a modern era car. Hence that's why the other garage was built in the Eighties.
Our garage dates from the 1940's ... and no we can't fit the car in it! But we have a drive and park the car on it. I don't understand why our neighbour's don't bother using their driveways, especially when they have visitors around.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Helped some younglings move in y'day. £350k for a very small, very in need of refurb, two bedroomed semi in a not particularly nice part of a small town in Sussex. (Not da'sham).

One's a teacher. Thr other is a junior civil servant. Been saving for years, help from Mum, but if Grandma had not popped someone tell me how this pair of public servants are meant to buy in SE England? Or are we saying that all state school teachers should move t'north where housing is cheap(er)?

That's my point. Grandparents, by and large, are property owners who pass their property to relatives when they die. If the value of these properties are passed to those trying to buy property then the system is maintained and house prices march inexorably upwards. It falls apart on a micro level when Grandparents didn't own property, the money from it goes to the cat charity or whatever or the people want to buy in an area more expensive than their Grandparents' properties

Top Bottom