The truth hurts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Doing the school run - or walk - this morning, one of the Mums in the playground complaining that someone had hit her car overnight, causing minor damage, and then legged it.

I asked her why she filled her double garage full of worthless rubbish but left her £45,000 Range Rooney Sport (not to mention her husbands X5M) parked at the kerbside if she was so bothered?

I still don't think she gets it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And you sound surprised , does anybody use a garage this day and age for putting cars in ????

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My garage is in the back garden, with the garage door on sideways. You'd have fun trying to get a car near the garage, let alone into it.

Bikes? Well that's why the door's on sideways = easier access.

byegad

Legendary Member
We have a house built in 2016 with garage. Getting even my wife's modest Toyota Yaris in there would be pretty tight, getting out of the car once you had it in there would be a contortionist's job. Like numbnuts I have trikes and other vital belongings stored in there so the car sits on the drive.

KneesUp

Guru
I have lived in two places with a garage. One a rented flat - Ford Ka went in easily, with room for bikes at the bonnet end. The other was a house with a long garage, so you could fit in a modern car (medium sized four door saloon) and it still had a 'shed sized' area at the end with a normal door that opened on to the garden. The car went in every day - I don't understand why you wouldn't when it's more secure, and means it keeps dry and doesn't need scraping in winter.

EDIT to add - the then Mrs Knees had to get out before the car went in the garage as you had to park it to one side so you could get out. Modern cars are a bit fatter than most garages seem to allow for. I stuck carpet tiles to the wall where my door ended up.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
A couple of years ago our car, along with much of the street, was graffitied overnight. We reported it to the rozzers, who came and took a statement. Two men were arrested and charged, one received a suspended sentence and one a community order. Ought I to phone the police and tell them that there's been a terrible miscarriage of justice and that it was in fact my own fault for leaving the car on the street and not at all the responsibility of the two nice young chaps with the spray can?

byegad

Legendary Member
Also storing your motor in a garage can lead to it sitting in humid conditions for a goodly chunk of the year. At least outside it gets dry when the wind blows and it isn't raining!

Lee_M

Guru
my cobra sits in my garage quite comfortably.
my bikes sit in the extension on the back that has been converted into a store/workshop

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think so Jim. However, if you can avoid become a victim with zero inconvenience, no expense and just a tiny bit of effort, then surely it would be sensible to do so?

In the wonderful world of tofu and tie die we should be able to behave as lackadaisically as we like without adverse consequence. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't behave that way, hence us using padlocks on our bikes and locks on our front doors.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I mainly avoid becoming a victim of this sort of thing by having a cheap car which I don't really care if it is superficially damaged. Still, the house we're buying has off road parking, so we're really moving up in the world.

It also has a falling down garage full of broken asbestos but swings & roundabouts, you know?

Top Bottom